DIGITATE HYDROID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RISEANDFLOAT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am pretty sure I have this in my tank. I was on this site reading http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm and it matches the description of what I saw perfectly.

What am I supposed to do to get rid of this? And I suspect there is more than one in my tank. It states on that site that they are not good, but what exactly do they do? They cannot harm my mushrooms or candy canes can they?

hydroids can pack a nasty sting !! even stronger than a corals, so i would suggest that you remove that rock and try to scrub off the hydroids (can you get a pic of it to make sure that is what it is??).

I agree, a pic would be the best way for us to help.

I cannot get a picture of it. It goes in and out of the back of a smaller piece of rubble. Basically what it looks like is a miniature earthworm stretching out of this piece of live rock. It might be about 2 inches long.

I think what your seeing may actually be a peanut worm. I'll see if I can find a pic...
Edit- Check out this site. They have a pic about 1/3rd of the way down the page of Sipunculida worms AKA peanut worms. They are beneficial detrivores in a reef tank, nothing to worry about. Generally a good sign things are progressing nicely.
http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

That matches what I'm seeing pretty well. I appreciate it MT. In the pictures under the article about sipunculida worms: the thing I am seeing looks like the top picture in the middle column, just extended out of a rock.

Definitely sounds like a peanut worm. I never see them completely out of the rock, always just stretching out to reach food. FWIW if you look in the tank at night w/ a flash light you will probably see a lot more of them, as well as other nocturnal animals that are not readily seen during the day. Just be careful, they are pretty sensitive to light and will quickly hide. I've read they can't see red, so using a red light or placing a red "cover" over a flash light may help you remain unnoticed.

I found one when I was messing with my light timer and they came on, a few hours after the lights were off. I do agree with the red lense over the flashlight, you will be amazed at what you see when you use it.

Well, while this topic is sort of still going, I got another question. I just bought a few mushrooms on a small piece of live rock. They have been in the tank for a few hours now and I am noticing these very long, skinny, clear-white-like worms/tentacles that are extending out of the rock. They are much longer than the previous worm I have mentioned and also much more skinny. Any ideas as to what this is? One is probably close to four inches.

Hydroids don't really retract like that. Lucky you it was not a pest hydroid problem. However, not all hydroids are pests, some are very cool. Feathery hydroids and halceium hydroids are awesome, had them in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom