Do I have Percula or Ocellaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjm80

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is what I believe to be the female. Just a tad bigger than the other, but doesn't appear to show any aggression.

This is the one I'm calling the male.

I took probably 75 pictures, and these were the best two. I'm unsure of which fins I'm supposed to be counting. You can click on them to make them bigger.

I'm pretty sure they are perculas, they aren't the right color orange for a o clown, the perculas are more of a yellow orange. I have two that look very similar to them, not all perculas have heavy black patterns. If I am not mistaken you can count the spines on the top to verify.

Both appear to be Ocellaris. But as Purevil mentioned, counting the spines is the only for-sure way to know. And no... I don't recall what the spine count should be!

And then the other trick is to know when a spine is a spine, and when you start counting! Perhaps Innovator will wander across this thread... he knows that one for sure!

I'm pretty sure they are perculas, they aren't the right color orange for a o clown, the perculas are more of a yellow orange. I have two that look very similar to them, not all perculas have heavy black patterns. If I am not mistaken you can count the spines on the top to verify.

the less defined color could just be from being in a LFS tank and the transfer, when i brought my percs home they had a cloudier color to them once they got adjusted to my tank and light they orange and black really came alive.

Percula tend to have more black outlining around their white stripes, generally the same fish with the same temperment just the black is hightened rather then the orangle

Back
Top Bottom