Do You Concider this large?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
This "bristle worm" was caught in my tank. I have seen him before but after thinking about it awhile I decided he should be evicted. He is about 9-10" long stretched out. I wasn't confortable moving stuff around while he hid in my rocks...so he had to go! As for being a good scavanger part of the clean up crew ....I'd rather hae a snail. :rolleyes:

worm1.jpg

worm2.jpg

yes, thats a fairly good size. I have at least 1, I think 2 that size in my tank. They don't hurt your system at all, but if it makes you more confortable to not have it in there it's understandable.

I have 2 in my tank (mine don't look so .... skeevey). One of them is probably 6-8" long and the little guy is 2-3" long. I love the look of them. They look so soft and fluffy in the water. They don't bother me at all. As a matter of fact they're hardly ever out but when they are I'm always snapping pictures of them.

that's sweet, I like finding stuff in my tank that I didn't put in there..... a actually laugh everytime I hear loud pops comming out of my tank.

Nice. I have found a couple in my system that are 4-6in. I just left them in.

Just saw one in my fuge thats at least 8-10" long. I tried to get pics but they just don't do it justice. I'm scared now though, like when I'm digging around pruning the caulerpa. I've heard they can scratch you up pretty good if you bump into them, though I've never seen a bristle that didn't hide the minute my hand when in the tank. Great pic. That thing is nasty. Thats not a bristle though, is it? What is it?

I don't know about all this lovey dovey talk about these worms.... yes maybe they do serve a purpose but i know one thing is for sure is that if i find one in my tank i am gonna take it out lickity split. I dont have a personal vendetta against them, other then they are disgustingly ugly, but after looking at this dudes worm http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm I wouldn't feel safe while i slept at night knowing that monster was out there 8O

I have one that has to be well over a foot long.... he's as thick as my pinky. I'm sure he cleans up ton's of left over food and just so I let him go.

I estimate that my tank has about 10 Eunicid worms (That 7 foot PVC crawler was a Eunicid worm, not a bristleworm). I don't know how large my largest is...maybe 2-3 feet. I've observed his feeding behaviour many times and he is a very effective vegetarian.

I don't find them disgusting...I would use words like "amazing, fascinating, and cool"....so I guess it is all in your POV.

There's a photo of my largest in my gallery.

PS..my tank isn't more than 2 feet wide at any point...so that's a lot of worm in a small tank.

While I wouldn't want one grabbing my finger, they are incredibly timid and retract into their holes in the blink of an eye.

My personal experience proves them to be destructive if they so choose, as such I enlisted the help of a 6 line which has helped. Lotsa folks think they are ok I am not one of them. If I want my sand sifted, I'll rely on my snails and starfish..I was curious, how did you catch the lil' bugger?

JoeA, that looks like a coral munching worm. Have you seen it eat any corals?

For my protection I always wear gloves. Plus I've read a few post with pics of people getting some kind of bacterial infection from the tank water, it's not pretty 8O

The orange ones are called FireWorms....and there is a reason. They pack a punch when they sting you. I would yank every one of them I could find if I were you. :!:

Back
Top Bottom