Eggs on my glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevelikesfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke up this morning to find some small (about 5mm in diameter) blobs on my glass (3 or 4 of them) with tiny white what I guess are Eggs in. Although I think they are eggs, I am not sure who could of laid them... Here are my options:

Jewel Damsels
Turbo Snails
Nassarius Snails
Cleaner Shrimp
Lettuce Nudibranch's

Although I only have 1 X Cleaner shrimp, I only got it yesterday from a tank of 5... I dunno really Im stuck on this one. I dont believe its the fish as there just isnt enough eggs....

Any ideas? Pic to come very soon!

Excellent picture. You got me curious so I did some research on the snails and nudi you have. From what I've read, those snails can't have come from any of them. The lettuce nudi lays eggs in a spiral, (I've had nudi eggs. They look nothing like that), the turbo's lay in a ribbon design and the nassarius are supposed to deposit trails. It can't be the cleaner since they carry the eggs themselves. I did read that stombus snails will lay eggs in a jelly mass that looks like a drop of water but is hard to the touch? Do you have any LR? Perhaps some hitchhiker snails?

definitely Nass... eggs. Hopefully they will mature. The thing is when they hatch they will go into your sand bed and not be visible for quite some time, until they feel safe enough to venture out. Now I have tons of these cute little snails crawling all over the place. Nice to see the cycle of life happen right before your eyes, and save you some/make you some money at the same time. :)

I've just run my fingers over the egg sacks and they are as hard as rock. The eggs have all sunk to the bottom of the sack too. Is this a bad sign? They have been on the glass now for 5 days, and there are new sacks arriving every day....

Thanks.

Snail eggs will generally hatch between 5-10 days depending on species. As far as Nassarius I have no idea, never personally paid attention to the time frame. More often than not though they never do result in young and those that do make it don't survive long. Our tanks are not generally hospitable to larval animals.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom