Emerald Mithrax Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just ordered several inverts from eTropicals.com. 2 of them were Emerald Mithrax Crabs. When I pulled the bag out of the box, I see not 2 but 3 crabs in there. 1 is a beautiful shade of green, the other 2 are more "peach colored". I thought the name, "Emerald" meant green. Can they be other colors aside from green or did I get some other type of crab?

They can be different colors for sure but I got a stupid rock crab in my order, ate a fish and at least 1 snail before I figured it out.

The claws should have a little suction cup looking part on both sides that it uses to grab algae. I have dark red and green ones (dark green to a pale green).

Mithrax crabs come in two different types from the caribean. Mithrax Sculptis, and Mithrax Rosaceous. A lot of people do not agree with me on this site, but I can show you the scientific data anaylsis we performed in Jamaica 4 years ago, that demonstrated that the Mithrax sculptis (the green kind), feeds primarily on algae and small inverts. The rosy ones (Mithrax rosaceous) tend to on the other hand have a lot of fish pieces in their stomach upon dissection. They should be ok when they are small, but as they age, they will get quite bad. I hope I can help.

I've seen many different shades of Mithrax crabs, they can be from lime green to very dark brown with only a hint of green.

P.S They are good florida pompano/permit bait.

Back
Top Bottom