Feather Duster or Aiptasia????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayesha97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've tried to get a picture of it but the zoom from my camera just comes out fuzzy!
I just put in LR in my tank about 3 days ago. Upon examination I saw that on some branched pieces of rock that there are small white/clear stalks with a crown of tentacles. They are really really TINY! Is there a good way to test to see what I have?

Thanks

If the crown retracts into a the tube extremly fast when disturbed then its feather dusters.

The retraction will be very quick. Faster than an eye blink basicly.

Damn, they didn't hide! I just have LR, 12 astraea snails, 12 blue legged hermits, an emerald crab, and a peppermint shrimp. I'm kind of worried that I haven't seen my shrimp in a few days. I hear that they can be wonderful at getting rid of aptasia. Anything else I could do at this early stage?

Thanks for your help! :D

It actually sounds like hydroids, to me, without a pic.

Here are a couple of pics of hydroids in my tank.

DSCN5410.jpg

dunno.jpg

Common small tube worm on LR

DSCN5412.jpg

Aiptasia

aiptasia.jpg

Wow Kevin, those are amazing pictures. What are you using to take your pictures. They are truly beautiful!

They look a little more like the tube worm picture. The bottom of the stalk appears to be brown. Although I didn't see the many color bands that appear in your pictures. (also very frustrated that I can't find my magnifying glass!). Do I have anything to worry about if they are tube worms? Do they need any extra care?

Wow Kevin, those are amazing pictures. What are you using to take your pictures. They are truly beautiful!

Thankyou, I use a Nikon CoolPix 995 digital camera.

Do I have anything to worry about if they are tube worms? Do they need any extra care?

No they are filter feeders, I never do anything special for mine.

Back
Top Bottom