Firm jelly substance under my new acan coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I purchased a new acan and placed it in a dip but noticed these two firm jelly things which looks like they have eggs in the centre. Has anyone seen these before to ID? ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402345076.803264.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402345119.186939.jpg

Don't kill them...see what they become. What did you dip them in? You may have hit the jackpot. Those are large eggs. I would be super excited to see what hatches!

BTW, you really don't need to dip lps. Not unless they have brown jelly or something like that. Predators of LPS can be easily removed with tweezers if need be.

Hi I dipped it in Seachem coral disinfectant before adding it to my tank (first time) and it wasn't until I lifted it back up that I noticed them. I will definitely keep an eye on them. Was just hoping it wouldn't develop into something nasty that I would have trouble trying to eradicate later. Any ideas at all? Could they be fish eggs? I don't think they are nudibranches as I have already been through that.

From the dip I doubt there would be any harm to the eggs, hope they develop! I somewhat doubt they are fish eggs, they're a little big and the protective layer over the eggs speaks less of fish, but I don't have any idea what they could be. Definitely keep an eye on them!

Also, I doubt they are going to become anything inherently invasive or problematic, such as a parasite or protozoan (the eggs are more noticeable than that of an organism that would usually be a parasite trying to make its offspring hard to notice. The only problem would be if it were something not suitable for your tank (such as a shark or octopus, of which neither seem likely ;) but you never know.)

I don't know what they are, but I'm extremely curious. Op do you have a sump and a spare light, I'd probably put it in there, jic.

Sump yes-light; no. Am doing a wc tomorrow so will inspect it again for any changes. Have my eye on some nano tanks on e-bay which would be perfect for quarantine.

Back
Top Bottom