Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At my G-Grandma's retirement home they have a saltwater tank. It looks to be 55 or 75 gallon. They had a clown, a some spotted puffer, and this stripped fish.
I couldn't figure out what it was....so I was hoping the SW experts could help. ;)
He was about 4-5 inches and would zip around when you got close to the tank, so its not the best pic.
Thanks All!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120509_085146.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120509_085146.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 114
Microcanthus strigatus - called a stripey in Australia. The species is found in just a few subtropical parts of the Indo-Pacific: southwestern Australia; southwest Pacific (including southeastern Australia, Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands); Japan; and Hawaii.

Tony

Like I said, Microcanthus strigatus. At times this species was thought to be a butterflyfish, but it is now either classified with the sea chubs (Kyphosidae), or considered to be closely related family (Microcanthidae - along with several other brightly coloured southern Australian genera: Atypichthys, Neatypus and Tilodon). They are common in my area (central New South Wales, Australia) - juveniles are very common in rockpools. They are okay in tanks, but can be a bit on the aggressive side.

Tony

Thought it looked like a butterfly too. I can see the problem labeling it. Thanks for the info! Always love more knowledge.
P.s. awesome job....truly envious!!

Back
Top Bottom