floating wormy thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momzacmarvin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am still fairly new to this and learning as i go. I just noticed in my tank (55 G... w/ 60# live rock been up running for 6 months now). Same few fish i have had for months so everything is going well. (I think). I was looking at the Tank and noticed a worm ( about 1/4" and swirly looking, was red) moving around in the water. I also noticed another one but it was stuck on the glass and had this tentacles looking thing moving around!

I haven't seen this before and was wondering if this sounds famililar to anyone else.

Can you get pics? It will be hard to ID and the best we could do is guess, by your description.
The first can be a fireworm (bad) or a bristleworm (good), again, it's hard to tell by the description, since there are tons of species of worms.

The 2nd could possibly be a medusa worm....maybe a feather duster...

thanks for your reply...

I don't have a camera suitable to photograph this little species. I know it is not a fire or bristleworm. I have seem those and this looks different. I did google search for feather duster worms and looks like might be that. But Would that be able to stick to the glass as i saw one do? or just be free floating in the water?

Also noticed a lot of white specs on the glass... so small but some you can tell look like a small worm body attached flat to the glass. I dont see them moving though, again they are small.

interesting anyway.

so small but some you can tell look like a small worm body attached flat to the glass

These could be beneficial "pods".

But Would that be able to stick to the glass as i saw one do?

I believe I read a post the other day, the someone had them stuck on the glass, and can be easily scraped off.

Back
Top Bottom