Found a sand critter!?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Supra

Aquarium Advice Regular
My family, once again, found a critter while at the beach this guy is crazy cool!!! Can anyone tell me what it is???
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435861412.544669.jpg

I find those all the time, but I don't know their official name. I used to catch like 25 and put them in a bucket with sand and water. When you dump it it's insane to see them all burrow in like 2 second falt.

I guess it's a sand flea lol they can actually bite you I've never seen anything like it lol. They burrow like crazy!!! They're so quick lol I wanna take it home

Yup, sand flea. After the waves crash ashore, you can just place your foot hard into the sand, and you can see them trying to dig in further. Or just use both hands and scoop up quite a few out of the sand.

Hmm, sounds like they might be beneficial to tank.

?Check out my tank shots recent tank pics in Instagram under #cgtanks

I doubt he'd do any harm other than maybe parasites or disease.
QT him first maybe? Although I have no idea what signs you'd look for lol

I've only ever seen these guys sold by one site...they aren't beneficial in any way other than a neat critter to live in your sandbed that you'll never see.

Thanks for the info guys it'll still be a cool thing to have either way haha

I see these all the time on the coast actually, can always find them burrowing in the sand here in Oregon. And they do bite, similar to what I'd compare a carpenter ants bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We call them sand crabs on the east coast.

30g cube
Pair of Flurry Clowns
Picasso Clown
Wide-bar Clown
20g FOWLR
Pair of Nearly Naked Clowns

Back
Top Bottom