Froggy Additions!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I finally took some pics of my frogspawn at night with the flash so I could post pics of what looks like new heads forming. When I got this coral it was half the size it is now. If these are new heads I may need to have Lindsay pay me a visit and teach me how to frag this coral.

First pic is of the entire coral...
frogynighttimeth8.jpg

The following pics are of two different sections of the coral each has 3 or more of the areas I circled in blue. Are they new heads?
frogynewheads2ex9.jpg

frogynewheadshq1.jpg

There are more areas as indicated that I can't get pics of because they are on the back side of the coral and on the left side which is blocked by LR. What do you guys think????

Looks like some buds starting up. I dont know how but you are supposed to cut them off and start new frags.

I would be very interested in learning how! I have at least 10 "buds" on this coral. that could generate a few $$ to go into the new tank project!!! By the way Mike I'm back in the market for a 120 48" tank.

I`ll call my 2 LFS and see what they have. I thought you were not interested so I did not try but I will now. Supposedly you are supposed to scrape them off onto LR rubble and they will start new corals. That is what I remember. It might have been Lindsay that told me that I cant be sure. Check out the search area I know it was on here somewhere. I`ll get back with you. Just tank and stand? Do you want a canopy?

What I learned at MACNA was that you can scrape the buds off using a sharp knife, like a scalpel, and glue them down to a reef plug or rubble, and let it grow. LPS also shoot out little white pieces of skeleton, almost like little trees. So if something happens and the main colony dies, a new colony can grow on the old one. That is what I tried to scrape off, but I did not have much luck. It didn't entirely go as planned either. The rubble I glued the pieces too fell behind the rock and, to be honest, I completely forgot about them! I'll attempt it again, the trick is just getting my clowns away from the torch coral so I can attempt it.

Ziggy, do you know if those started out as the small calcerious white trees? Vague description, I know... They look like buds to me! Congrats! If they get plenty of light and are in a desireable area, I'd leave them until they get a little larger to frag.

I'm not sure exactly how they started off as I don't look at the tank after lights out very much so they could have started as the trees you are talking about. I don't know. The problem with this coral is it is SOOOO full when fully expanded that those buds aren't getting light at all. The coral is about the size of a cantelope when fully opened up. I may have to try and do some fragging sooner rather then later...

Mike I only want the tank I don't need a canopy, stand or anything else. I only want a tank. I will settle for a standard AGA but reef ready would be great!! Thanks for checking for me!!

Cool. I would start gathering some supplies soon... a scalpel or sharp knife (maybe an exacto knife would work), some super glue gel, reef plugs, some egg crate if you don't have any.

When you do it, I'd get the heads to retract as much as you can, and just try to cut away the buds. Keep as much skelton as you can, and it might be helpful to try a test spot somewhere else on the coral so you can get a feel for how hard or soft the skeleton is.

Don't forget pictures when you do it. :)

Congrats!

I guess you are suggesting that I remove the coral from the tank to do this. I'm not sure if I will be able to as it is epoxied to a rock. I may be able to get it free from the rock but I'm not sure...I'm not ready to attempt it yet...maybe after MACNA

Back
Top Bottom