Frosty growth on my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got this feisty white growth in my live rock. It's spreading over the coralline and looks like ice crystals forming on a glass pane. Any ideas? Will it take over and cover my coralline?

Not sure if I'm right here, but I believe the coraline might be dying. I had the same thing happen when I added some live rock that dried up a little bit and the algae slowly came off and is only now getting better. I might be wrong though. I'm pretty sure that coraline algae does turn white when it dies though.

Looks like sponges forming.Which are a normal progression in new tanks.Look closely at some of them and see if you can identify tube like openings on them.

I do have some of that, Rick. But I don't think this is the same. It is flat and not raised from the rock at all. You can see it best in the pic on the lower purple section of the rock. The upper darker section as a different growth. It is more like a web and is more three dimensional with a texture that looks like burlap. Perhaps the lower section is a younger version of the upper.

BTW This is the most prolific rock in my aquarium. Has at least 7 feather dusters and other things growing from it.

Well, good to know your coralline is fine lol I'm just sitting here learning.

The frosty stuff in the lower section is not raised at all and it will scrape off with my fingernail. The stuff on the top section is course and hard to the touch. Will not scrape off.

Back
Top Bottom