Funky Crab!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inetmug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I got a crab that has orange claws. No idea what or where it came from (other than the rock obviously). It appears to be about 1" wide, has a normal crabby body, and appears to be mean.

I can not take a pic cause it is very very elusive.

What type of crab has orange claws?

thanks

Hi All,

I got a crab that has orange claws. No idea what or where it came from (other than the rock obviously). It appears to be about 1" wide, has a normal crabby body, and appears to be mean.

I can not take a pic cause it is very very elusive.

What type of crab has orange claws?

thanks

I found out what it is... a Tropical Reef Lobster. I tried catching it via a plastic bottle trap... no good. Then I caught it out (still hidden), and the claws have orange bands, and it was definatly a lobster/shrimp looking body with long claws, sort of like a Maine lobster.

It if not as mean as thought as the population has not reallly had a loss. We thought it took a leg off a starfish, but when I saw it and the starfish co-located, I think not.. They apparently come from the S. Pacific. I did get some Fuji rock... could it come from the keys? I did get a few Sea Biscuits.

Anyway, all seems well enough for now.

Even better, full positive ID.... Pistol Shrimp... very beautiful one at that. Seems to be getting tamer and comes out for feedings now.

Lucky find, cause Pistol shrimp ain't cheap :p and plus usually it paired up with the goby :) good for ya!

Good find. As mentioned they will pair with shrimp gobies. I have a reef lobster. They dont show themselves. Seen mine maybe 5 times in 7 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom