Good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allycat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all can anyone help me to find out what these are. The first one is the biggy he's about 5 to 6 cm frome base to the end of the tenticals. It dont move and is allways open and allso there are a few small one's about, i need to know if its good or bad. Sorry about the pic. The next one is with the coral but does not seem to be doing any harm , its been there since i got the coral and there are more of them scatterd about. This one allso stays still. hope the pics help

Attachments

• P011108_10.15.jpg
    P011108_10.15.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 65
  • P011108_10.19.jpg
    P011108_10.19.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 76
They are both nuisence anemones (aiptasia/majano) and you really should get rid of them. They spread rapidly and can cause issues with your corals. Do a search for aiptasia removal and I'm sure you'll find lots of instruction on killing them off. I don't have a link to the homemade remedy but there are commercial products like Joe's Juice that are available and work great.

Here it is. Hope this help's. I think you may be right but i would like to know and is there any thing i should know about keeping them. Thanks again

Attachments

• P011108_10.18[01].jpg
    P011108_10.18[01].jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 65
I agree with Larry, looks like a toadstool leather. An unhappy one at that. Notice the white areas where the majano anemone is? Hopefully getting rid of that will help the leather to recover. Good luck. It will be an ongoing battle for awhile until all the new ones become visible and you are able to deal with them.

Well i just injected the majano whith lemon juce and its closed right up so hopefull it will be gone soon. the coral was in a very bad state when i got it very small and not opên at all. if there is anything ell's i should try please let me know it seem's a shame to let it die.:(

I would give it some time and hope it recovers. As long as its getting good moderate flow, good lighting and great water parameters, it should recover. Leathers are pretty tough.

Thanks everyone. It just goes to show that leaving the hobby for 10+ years nocks you back a bit. I feel like a Noob again. Back when i used to keep a salt water aquarium we had no internet and limmited info. Things certainly have changed. Thanks again all of you very very much.:)

With leathers you can do an iodine dip. I have done this with mine several times. I use a 1/2 gallon of tank water (SW) plus a capful of kents iodine for about 15-20 minutes. Just place the leather in it for the time mentioned above. Might have to do it twice a week for a week or two.

Thanks melosu i will give it a try and let you know how it gets on, hopefully it will survive.

Here is an update. As you can see the majanois nearly gone:). this is the same with the others. just hope the lemon juce does not affect my water too much i only did a few to beguin with and if everything is ok i will do some more tomorrow. also the coral seems more alive.:)

Attachments

• P021108_08.50[03].jpg
    P021108_08.50[03].jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom