good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattdean

Aquarium Advice Regular
A couple of these guys seemed to have popped up from my live rock. Good or bad?

These are the best pics I could get. Click on the pics to see it better.

Thanks!

Attachments

• good or bad 1.jpg
    good or bad 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 80
  • good or bad 2.jpg
    good or bad 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 90
That's what I was afraid of, but they don't look like all the pics of Aptasia I have seen. Don't want to kill something that could be cool.

I had what appeared to be a hydroid jellyfish on my glass that disappeared, but I think wedged itself at the bottom of a rock and definitely grew in size. These looked similar, but not sure.

Here's another pic. It extended itself.

Attachments

• good or bad4.jpg
    good or bad4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 79
in my opinion anything that can not be identified or you think could possibly be something bad is bad, remember the saying "always treat a gun like its loaded" i use that same phrase in my tank.

So....this morning it changed it's orientation. It's sitting on top of the rock and is fatter on the bottom. Looks more like an anemone.

Your advice about treating the tank like a loaded gun is sound. I will give it another day or two (The tank is new (5 weeks) and I only have chromis (which I just put in yesterday) in it to get things going.

Hopefully I can get a positive ID on it.

Attachments

• good-or-bad-6small.jpg
    good-or-bad-6small.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 77
if it moved like that it makes me think it's some sort of anemone. I don't recall any Aiptasia moving around the tank IME.

If you see another one pop up, you need to get rid of them. Treat it like aiptasia if it starts spreading.

No bout adout it.. aiptasia

JJ, hot water or your own mixture (which you can find here to google)

Just got some Aiptasia X:twisted:

The rock that it's on is very small and on it's own. Would taking it out of the tank be better? I could take it out, zap it and put it back in after it's a goner.

There is also what was identified as a hydroid wedged at the bottom of a larger rock. However, it could be aiptasia as well. I guess I should just nuke it all.

if it moved like that it makes me think it's some sort of anemone. I don't recall any Aiptasia moving around the tank IME.
Yes, aiptasia do move around...

[/quote]If you see another one pop up, you need to get rid of them. Treat it like aiptasia if it starts spreading.[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom