good worm or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pspiegel

Aquarium Advice Regular
another worm for you guys to look at!

i happened to be up late and had most of the lights off in the room including the tank lights, i happened to look over and see this worm like thing crawling on the rock.. i got out a flashlight with a red cover and was able to look at it pretty close, it seems to be pretty long (about 6 inches or so)..

this is just a pic i was able to snap when it was partially out, hopefully someone knows what this is/if it is good or bad! also, it reacts to light and when i take the red cover off the lens of the flashlight it quickly retreats back into the rock..

Thanks!

Attachments

• picture_1_136.jpg
    picture_1_136.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 2_739.jpg
    2_739.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 27
Penut worm Good , detravore harmless , sign of healthy system

thanks! what kind of stuff do they feed on out of curiosity?

detrius, fish food, pooh, just general wastes. They are nice little janitors to have.

awesome! i am glad its a good thing..

i take it these come as hitchhikers in the live rock?

Yep, a harmless..good...scary peanut worm lol.

I have a huge one in my 30 gallon system, the first time I saw it it scared the heck out of me. They feed on detritus like mentioned, but they also filter feed. I was watching mine, and they have an almost feather duster like head that uncoils out once in a while.

I have them as well but they only came in on 1 piece of Fiji I have and there is a bunch of them that live in this one rock.

Back
Top Bottom