green invador-what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liontech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While looking at my aquarium, something caught my eye. It was green and about 1/4 inch in dia. with two white eyes and short red antenna. It was peeking from a hole in the live rock. As soon as I turned my head to look at it, it disappeared. It is very elusive and at feeding time it runs out and back so quickly that it is difficult to get a good look at. It is about an inch and half in length with a shrimp style body (I think). After two weeks, I finally got a picture good enough that I thought I could send it to the forum for ID. Taking a picture of this thing is like trying to take a picture of a bullet. Anyone have an idea what this creature is and is it a "good" one? Thanks for your input.
liontech

unfortunately you have a Mantis Shrimp on your hands.

A wonderful facinating creature, however, It is extreamly deadly to your fish. You will probibly need to remove it asap. Try making a trap or purchasing one. http://marinedepot.com/aquarium_miscellaneous_fish_trap.asp?CartId=

You can make one by taking a soda bottle and cutting off the top, then inserting the top into the body of the soda bottle and fastening it in place. place a meaty treat in the bottle and place the bottle in a quite corner of your tank on its side. See if the mantis takes up residence in it, and when he goes in there, pull the bottle out!

Of course, You can always choose to keep him in there. Many people around here have fish and Mantis shrimps together with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom