green mossy stuff ok? not ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlrupert909

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1 1/2 weeks later I see green mossy stuff growing on my live rock. Is this OK? All the vitals are good. I did have some brown algae growing. I put 100ml of some cristals (Rowa - I think) into a sock and in my output of my skimmer which seems to have that slowed down. I have to admit the lights are turned on more often now too but not yet on a timer (got that yesterday - haven't hooked it up yet). I see some new blossoms on the live rock which appear to be new. It looks like crap but seems to be ok.

I believe you have some hair algea. How often are you feeding? are you using tap water? This algea is caused by organics in the water that feeds it. The lights will do it also.

green mossy stuff

I have two tiny fish and one small clown. I feed them twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. I feed them Spectrum Thera+A by New Life. This is what was recommended. I find that the little fish spit this out unless I crush it up a little bit. I feed them a dime size amount each feeding. They appear to gobble this up within a couple minutes but I have seen some un-eaten laying on the gravel too. Maybe the food is wrong?

Is there something I can do to get rid of it? It sounds like, turn down the lighting is one thing? Perhaps feed less? The real question is "is it harmful?"

Thanks,
Jeff

try to reduse your feedings to what they can eat in around 60 seconds.. making sure your intake to your filter is clean helps as well..
green algae of any kind is a sign of a healthy aquarium.. its not harmfull.. if you had a critter to eat it I would say leave it.. :p

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this...
greenmaji said:
green algae of any kind is a sign of a healthy aquarium.. its not harmfull.. if you had a critter to eat it I would say leave it.. :p

Hair algae if that's what it is can take over a tank and kill some corals by covering them.
You need to check your water for Nitrate and phosphates and post the readings you get.
I know guys who battled the HA for years and it drove them crazy and the tank looked like Crap because it was covered in HA.
Do not wait long to jump on this problem..
Try taking the rock out if you can and scrub it off..
Test water ASAP and post readings
Do you use Tap water or ro/di??
can u post a pic...

Here are the vitals as of yesterday:
Temp 81
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.0
Amonia .25
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 2.5

I mix my own using tap water. I mix Instant Ocean salt with NovaAqua+ and NITROMAX Marine. Today is the first day I think I need to add water, it's getting a little low. So today I'll do my first supplemental mix. Have pics.

Attachments

• greenalgae_003a.jpg
    greenalgae_003a.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 51
help

It is not hairy but just bright green and it is creating like a sheet on the bottom of my sand. Also there are little bitty white things starting to grow on the rocks.

jlrupert909 said:
Today is the first day I think I need to add water, it's getting a little low. So today I'll do my first supplemental mix. Have pics.

If you are adding water to make up for evaporation, do not add salt. Just de-chlorify it. When saltwater evaporates, the salt stays behind.

If the little white things are circular and hard, it's just a harmless featherduster. You really ought to look into buying a RO/DI unit or buy bottled water at the grocery store or LFS that is RO/DI filtered. It sounds like your phosphates are a little out of control.

Mantis is right add fresh water for any evap. water. I believe you have two problems 1) You are using tap water. If your tap is like mine you are pouring plenty of phosphates and silicates in your tank which is a feeder of algea. Not to mention the chlorine and other stuff that dont belong in your tank. 2) You should only feed your fish every other day. I dont care what the directions say. All these people want you to feed as much as you can so you`ll hurry back for more. I`ve been feeding mine every other day for eight years without a sign of algea. Let me knock on my head for some wood. :D It`s really simple. Less organics = less algea. I have to disagree about nothing being wrong with algea in someone`s tank. I`ve seen tanks decimated by algea. Hope you get it under control.

Back
Top Bottom