Has anybody ever seen this crab??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpbustillo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I caught him local in florida

Attachments

• image-3490444098.jpg
    image-3490444098.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2334508872.jpg
    image-2334508872.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 155
Thanks Convict I found a picture that looks just like the one that I have but it has the title "unknown species"

Attachments

• image-3223584249.jpg
    image-3223584249.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 151
I'm not convinced it's not reef safe. If it's easy to catch, I would simply watch it and see if it behaves.

It looks like a longnose spider crab. They are found on the eastern coast. If that's what it is, he's a scavenger and mostly eats seaweed.

My LFS has one of these crabs....it was brought in by a customer, but they didn't know what it was....she did say it eats every fish they put in with it....

A crab would have a heck of a time catching a healthy fish. Generally, they are scavengers and opportunistic feeders. If the opportunity arose, maybe so, but healthy fish on a regular basis?

I saw her put in a damsel one day and it was dinner within 2 minutes or less.....that thing is huge though, not sure why she put the damsel in.....it may have been sickly

It could have been on the way out.....I can't understand why she would have fed it a healthy fish....I did question them as to why they have had it for so long, and she said it was too mean to sell.....my kids think its really cool, but I don't think I would wanna risk it.....and it was huge!! Like as big as my hand stretched out

They do that sometimes. A guy at a store was showing me how aggressive his undulate trigger was by tossing in mollies, one after the other. Not something I was interested in watching.

Back
Top Bottom