HELP!! Crab id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is not true. They are in the same family. The fireworm we generally look out for is the bearded fireworm and they are quite large in comparison to other bristleworms. It is quite rare to see them, I have only ever seen 3 bristles ID'd as fireworms in these forums and it was most definitely what they were.

That is not true. They are in the same family. The fireworm we generally look out for is the bearded fireworm and they are quite large in comparison to other bristleworms. It is quite rare to see them, I have only ever seen 3 bristles ID'd as fireworms in these forums and it was most definitely what they were.

I disagree. If you do your research you will find i am correct. I suppose we can argue about who is right and who is wrong on this matter. To save time and words, i would be more than willing to provide you with an email address for an actual worm expert. She is not a self described internet expert, but the real thing, as in she does this for a living. If you are interested, send a PM and i will provide you with her email.

Wow do u have a pic of the nudibranch and why did u take it out what was it eating.

I disagree. If you do your research you will find i am correct. I suppose we can argue about who is right and who is wrong on this matter. To save time and words, i would be more than willing to provide you with an email address for an actual worm expert. She is not a self described internet expert, but the real thing, as in she does this for a living. If you are interested, send a PM and i will provide you with her email.

I would like this email as bristle worms don't eat corals where fireworks will yes same family but not the exact same since the diet is tottaly different and the toxicology is also different I am not disagreeing that thy are related but they are not the exact same

Why not ask her to post information here instead of offering an email address. This way those following the thread can all benefit from her insight.

Lol u guys are way too funny it's a worm it had bristles and it was mean that's all I kno.

I should probably reword my statment earlier. What reefers refer as bristleworms are fireworms. I don't feel comfortable asking her to register on this site to answer questions. I have consulted Leslie in the past on various inquiries. She usually answered within a day or two. I came in contact with her on another saltwater forum. I'm not sure if it's within the rules to post the other site on here? Well it's Reefcentral. She goes by the name of LeslieH on this site. I will exclude her last name for good reason. She is very friendly and quit helpful. If you would like to ask her questions, i'm sure she would be more than willing to help anyone out. My offer of an email address was originally for Sniperhank. I doubt Leslie would appreciate me posting her email for hundreds to see online or offering it to everyone that may request her email. A true expert is rather hard to find. I can definitely understand why fellow reefers would enjoy having such a valuable resource available.

I should probably reword my statment earlier. What reefers refer as bristleworms are fireworms. I don't feel comfortable asking her to register on this site to answer questions. I have consulted Leslie in the past on various inquiries. She usually answered within a day or two. I came in contact with her on another saltwater forum. I'm not sure if it's within the rules to post the other site on here? Well it's Reefcentral. She goes by the name of LeslieH on this site. I will exclude her last name for good reason. She works for the Natural history museum of Los angeles county. She is very friendly and quit helpful. If you would like to ask her questions, i'm sure she would be more than willing to help anyone out. My offer of an email address was originally for Sniperhank. I doubt Leslie would appreciate me posting her email for hundreds to see online or offering it to everyone that may request her email. A true expert is rather hard to find. I can definitely understand why fellow reefers would enjoy having such a valuable resource available.

I don't think I or anyone asked for her email address. All I said was instead of offering one person her email address just, see if she wanted to way in on this thread.

No email but u did say where she worked lmao who cares its out now maybe start ur own thread about fireworks/bristleworms

There are more misconceptions about polychaete worms than there are truths in this hobby, sometimes.
As stated before, bristleworm and fireworm are both interchangeable umbrella terms covering thousands of species. These particular words are fairly meaningless. Now, when most people say fireworm, they are referring to a specific species of bristleworm/fireworm with a common name of Caribbean Bearded Fireworm. This species preys largely on non encrusting gorgonians. It has a rather explicit means of doing so. It finds a gorgonian such as a sea fan or sea whip, crawls onto it and deepthroats a branch, gumming the tissue into goo that it can digest.
It does not pose a significant threat to other types of coral, or to fish. By the most scientifically accepted definition, what we call feather dusters are also just as appropriately called fireworms.
Very very few polychaete species we see in this trade pose any harm to our stock. Those that do are very easily recognized. As a general rule that applies the vast majority of the time, fireworms/bristleworms are the most beneficial organisms we can have in our tanks. I wrote an article that is on this site in the articles section, about this very topic. It includes pictures, scientific names, and citations for more clarification.
Long story short, that worm was a good guy and you should be pleased you have them in there.

Last edited:
There are more misconceptions about polychaete worms than there are truths in this hobby, sometimes.
As stated before, bristleworm and fireworm are both interchangeable umbrella terms covering thousands of species. These particular words are fairly meaningless. Now, when most people say fireworm, they are referring to a specific species of bristleworm/fireworm with a common name of Caribbean Bearded Fireworm. This species preys largely on non encrusting gorgonians. It has a rather explicit means of doing so. It finds a gorgonian such as a sea fan or sea whip, crawls onto it and deepthroats a branch, gumming the tissue into goo that it can digest.
It does not pose a significant threat to other types of coral, or to fish. By the most scientifically accepted definition, what we call feather dusters are also just as appropriately called fireworms.
Very very few polychaete species we see in this trade pose any harm to our stock. Those that do are very easily recognized. As a general rule that applies the vast majority of the time, fireworms/bristleworms are the most beneficial organisms we can have in our tanks. I wrote an article that is on this site in the articles section, about this very topic. It includes pictures, scientific names, and citations for more clarification.
Long story short, that worm was a good guy and you should be pleased you have them in there.

+1 agreed. When diving, you see various species of bristle worms everywhere. The most colorful tend to have stinging spines, so handling them isn't recommended. I group them in with pods, having them just shows that the biology in your tank is balanced. And it's free fish food.

Back
Top Bottom