Help me identify please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Report I can send when u get home from work. Its not the zoo. It's the marine company that services the zoo and the aquariums

I have a marine land three row 48-60" led reef light with a timer
Two aqua clear power filters 100 gallon
One large power head
I was told to wait on the skimmer

We put water and live rock and sand in my tank 15 weeks ago. I added my snails clams an emerald. Crab tjhe size of a penny, peppermint shrimp, brittle serpent star fish first week of June. added my first fish third week on June. 2 OC clowns 1/4 inch long. From there they said I could stock my tank. So I added over the last few weeks. A blue hippo tang just under a half inch, a yellow tang 1 inch, a foxface 1 inch, a banner fish 1.5 inches, a purple Ora 3/4 inch, a yellow eye tang 1.75 inches, a black spiny urchin 2. Inches, three emerald crabs nickel size, a sand sifting start fish 2.5 inches across tip to tip, 2 half inch red blennies, 2 3/4 inch scooter blennies, 1 1.25 inch lawnmower blenny, 4 turbo snails, a decorator crab about 1/2 inch, and then two anemeomes this past Friday... One looks great one looks like crap since yesterday. When the foxface died marine culture said I should get 4 1/4 inch cardinals. Two weeks ago they said I should add two new pieces of live rock ( smaller than a fist) for bacteria. They had sponges on them.
Still water has been good bit so you think I did it wrong?

You need to slow down leave the tank alone. Will like to know what your cal,mag,alk,temp and salt level is it sounds to me as if one off your levels or off also how often you do water changes. Almost for get what's your phosphate level.

Don't buy anymore livestock until everything in your tank is happy for a while...at least a month. Next time you buy stuff just a couple new things at a time. Also I would pick up some pods for your scooters so they don't starve. How's the rest of the fish doing?

Sounds like the marine place is just making money off you.

Ok here comes stupid question 9876. :-( I was told and sold my blennies who were eating brine Mices shrimp. I have watched them eat heartily in the main tank since I got them. 2 scooter 2 red and 1 lawnmower. I knew nothing about pods :-( so since the have been happy and healthy I must have already had pods in my main tank?

Now that I have them in the hospital tank with just PVC pipe do I need to get them pods? Can I put pods in cooper medicine? They all ate tonight really well or so I think because I don't seem to know better :-(

Happy to report everyone is happy healthy looking swimming playing hiding and doing wonderfully. My main tank looks good and even my very angry sick looking anenome from this morning has opened up mouth closed is eating and once again seems very content

A skimmer will help grow pods for the blennies to eat while in the hospital tank?

Ok here comes stupid question 9876. :-( I was told and sold my blennies who were eating brine Mices shrimp. I have watched them eat heartily in the main tank since I got them. 2 scooter 2 red and 1 lawnmower. I knew nothing about pods :-( so since the have been happy and healthy I must have already had pods in my main tank?

Scooters can be trained to eat other things, which is great if they are & you see them eating! Just keep an eye on them because they can go back to eating just pods.

The lawnmower needs more algae food, I know they will eat other things, but they are herbivores.

You have posted you water test yet.....& you should post more pics of your tank.

Sorry for the delay... A few issues have arisen.

Calcium 422
Mag 1357

Alkalinity 3.42

That's was the main tank. I not sure about calcium and all in the quarantine tank. I can say the PH is t8.2 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 copper 0.25. Everyone in there has been doing well until tonight. The blue hippo tanks spots are all gone. The yellow tangs white spot gone. The banner fish white spots gone. Everyone has been eating well and very active. I have purchased a bottle of copods to put in the water for the blennies but it says to do so after dark so I was waiting. This is 48 hours into quarantine and at 5 they ate well at 830 my blue hippo tank is floating on the bottom rapid respirations and clearly in distress. At 945 my yellow tang now seems disoriented and wobbly. Retested cooper to be sure and it's the same retested the tank and all the numbers are the same :-( I am just at a loss! Even my water temp is 78 degrees.

Now my main tank is looking awesome again. Anenomes happy and bloomed out mouths closed eating well. I even discovered I have baby brittle star fish.

Attachments

• image-428424044.jpg
    image-428424044.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image-459673925.jpg
    image-459673925.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2820057279.jpg
    image-2820057279.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image-897844937.jpg
    image-897844937.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-753711461.jpg
    image-753711461.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 57
Well the Verdict is in... I somehow contracted coral reef fish disease. it didn't present like any of the info I read or pictures I saw. It didn't appear to be this to anyone I takes to or showed the pics and videos to. Water pro tests and mine good. My blue tang is fighting for life and my yellow is in her side nearly dead. I have been told that this will more than likely wipe out all my livestock.y boyfriend lost everything but 1 cardinal fish so far. Thanks to everyone who read and helped... I'm thinking about a new less stressful hobby like sky diving

What exactly is this coral reef fish disease you speak of? From reading through this thread it sounds like an uncycled tank being packed with a bunch of livestock and it all dying off.

I'm no expert but no way that tank was cycled. Way to many fish some were expert level. Sad that a lfs did that to her and the fish.

Scooters can accept regular prepared foods, if you are lucky. Mine took almost a month of eating pods to switch over to pellets and frozen. Just need enough pods until they come around. You can put bagged pods into the hospital tank so they have something to eat.

I have to agree with the above posters about the reason for the sick/dying fish. Too much too fast. It happens alot with people new to saltwater, it's so exciting to have all theses fish and they look so cool I totally understand why people get too many too fast. Don't beat yourself up over it, just learn from it.

As a side note, I've been skydiving and keep alot of saltwater tanks and I prefer the fish!!

It took a while to find but one article I read refers to coral reef fish disease as another name for marine velvet. My advise from here is to re stock very slowly, do plenty of research on fish types and compatibility, start with hardy fish. I can't recommend highly enough setting up a QT tank!

Back
Top Bottom