help please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt1245

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was just looking at my tank and relized that i had cyanobacteria =( its not much it is on one rock wich i have completely romoved from the tank but the only bad thing is that there is a lot of it on the sand in small patches how do i get rid of this? of i can...

i also noticed small stringlike things in my sand and on my rock there not as thin as hair algae but for lack of a better discription kind of looks like peices of fish poop sticking up in the sand but its not they are brown almost like a branchy algae

all of these algaeas started to happen in my diatom bloom

i have 3 green chromis in the tank hopefully they arent effected

i was just looking at my tank and relized that i had cyanobacteria =( its not much it is on one rock wich i have completely romoved from the tank but the only bad thing is that there is a very small patch on the sand
how do i get rid of this? of i can...

The cyano is caused by a low flow area or over feeding. try moving your poerheads around. that fixed my problem

all of these algaeas started to happen in my diatom bloom

i have 3 green chromis in the tank hopefully they arent effected

Your fish should be ok the diatoms and algae won't hurt them just make sure your water parameters are good.

How long have you had your tank up? if it is still early you might still be cycling.. I had a small cyano bloom when mine was cycling, and still have one tiny spot(i need a new PWRHD) I was using incorrect lighting b/c I didn't have any corals yet, I too had it one the substrate so i actually removed that section of the top layer, killed my light for a couple days, and i positioned my pwr heads to blow more on it, at first, water in that part of my tank was not moving very much at all.(don't have your pwr head blow directly on it and cause a sand storm though) you should be able to clean off your rock well and place it back in the tank, cyano is a bacteria more than an algae, high nutrients and low water movement is mostly the cause. and depending on your lighting, that may be the cause of it, old bulbs, incorrect spectrum etc...you can get some chemical products to "kill" it but if you don't remove the catalyst, it will just keep reoccurring and I don't like using chemicals on my tank for anything,

id do a water change, that will remove alot of the nutrients in the water, add or reposition my pwr heads and leave my lights off for a day or two. remember, you are trying to mimic the natural ocean so nothing sits still, and its not always a perfectly bright and sunny day...and if you have fish, dont feed them for for a few days, fish dont eat 3 square meals a day in the wild so they dont need to in your tank, I feed my fish 2-3 times a week, actually I feed my corals an the the fish get the left overs but they are all healthy and happy..

I couldn't have said it any better than the two above.
A few suggestions...get us a pic, if possible.
A few standard questions (for you and future folks):
How much/what and how often are you feeding?
How long are you running your lights?
What are your water parameters?

As they said, the cyano can be cured with water movement and lack of nutrients.

one thing though- for the first 3-4 months that you are setup, you WILL get all sorts of algaes. It's part of the tank maturing and not worth stressing IMO. Just wait it out and resist the urge to do something new and different for each new type. Watch your feedings, watch your lighting, and just know that you will see the marvels of microalgae. ;)

sorry about the delay i was gone for a week i moved my power head to the sand and when i came back from vacation it was gone

Back
Top Bottom