Help w/ ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJMS86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry, but I'm not able to use my regular computer(crashed)(soI'm having issues using my phone to google/research pictures) but wanted to get an ID on the branched red "algae?" growing quickly in my tank. Only been set up for 4 months and this thing was barely noticeable then. Is it good or bad?? Everything seems to be great in this new system...so hoping it's not bad
Thank you for you help!!!
Joyce :thanks:

Attachments

• 2011-09-29 14.43.21.jpg
    2011-09-29 14.43.21.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2011-09-29 14.43.51.jpg
    2011-09-29 14.43.51.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 2011-09-29 14.42.17.jpg
    2011-09-29 14.42.17.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 72
Well if its growing realy fast you'd better check your nitrates,maybe too much feeding,it looks like some form of Gracilaria Macro Algae.

Thank you for your response, I looked online and I do believe it is red gracilaria algae. However, I'm confused, I wonder why you would mention the nitrates... there has been 0 Amm, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates, since I moved everything in back in July. I do weekly testing and PWC (sometimes 2 x weekly) I've read online that most people think that this type of algea is a good thing, most even buy it, using it for filtration and feeding tangs. Can you please explain why you think my nitrates might be causing some sort of issue? Personally I happen to like the look of it, as it adds a little color in the tank and I didn't have to pay for it!
As I'm always trying to learn something new about this hobby, I would appreciate any and all input!!
Thank you very much :)

JJMS86 said:
Thank you for your response, I looked online and I do believe it is red gracilaria algae. However, I'm confused, I wonder why you would mention the nitrates... there has been 0 Amm, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates, since I moved everything in back in July. I do weekly testing and PWC (sometimes 2 x weekly) I've read online that most people think that this type of algea is a good thing, most even buy it, using it for filtration and feeding tangs. Can you please explain why you think my nitrates might be causing some sort of issue? Personally I happen to like the look of it, as it adds a little color in the tank and I didn't have to pay for it!
As I'm always trying to learn something new about this hobby, I would appreciate any and all input!!
Thank you very much :)

I think what he ment was that it worried him that the macro-algae was growing fast. Usually macro-algae grows fast if there are a lot of nutrients, eg nitrates ;) so he was just concerned about the speed of the growth and not about the algae itself. Gracilaria is great and I have it in my refugium

Yep,Unicorn thats exactly what I meant,I have some kind of dark red macro in my DT which is growing but quite slowly and looks nice in the tank,The thing about algae's is that if its growing there must be nutrients in the tank,although the trates test showed zero its because the macro algae is consuming them,This isnt a problem for you at the moment but would be worth trying to reduce the trates slightly now rather then having a problem later on.

Back
Top Bottom