Help, what is this?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyKyley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437010948.571030.jpg

Hi, I'm new here. I have a small saltwater tank with a pair of clownfish and a few snails. Everything has been fine until about a week ago these small hair-like things have popped up in my tank. There have been no changes or new species added other than I started alternating between two different foods to add in some variety for the fish.

Is this an algae or some kind of worm? Should I be worried?
I've tried to clean it out with a pipette and it seems to multiply like crazy by the next day. Help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hard to see, but looks like a pineapple sponge. Harmless filter feeders that are a pretty common 'life stage' in a tank. You'll see the population go up before they all but vanish. Very rarely have their numbers gone and stayed up.

Thanks, I looked up pictures of those sponges but I'm not sure if that's what these are. I tried to take a better pic. They're short, hair-like and dark colored. Upon closer inspection I'm wondering if they may be some kind of worm. It looks like they might be moving. I'm just worried about them being harmful to my fish and snails.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437015824.696427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh, I was looking at the snail there after rubbing my eyes after too many hours at a computer it seems.
I'm not sure what those little black guys are, but I'm sure it is just fine and will fade away.

Back
Top Bottom