Hitchhiker anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StickyTuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought some cured LR from my LFS last week and I have been cycling the tank for one week. My temperature is at 78-79 degrees and light is running on an 8 hour schedule.

Tonight when I got home from work, my wife told me that something had grown on our rock. When I inspected it, it looks like a small anemone.

I have tried to attach the pictures.
If anyone knows if this is a good guy or a bad one I will greatly appreciate your thoughts.

TIA :D[/img]

anemone

looks like and an aiptasia anemone to me, did it come with the LR? They can grow qiuckly though... Unfortunatly, those aren't good anemones and genneraly should be killed. Peppermint shrimps are good to destroy smaller ones, but joes juice will kill it if its big.

Hey there,

Interesting little guy you got there - Jen was telling me about this hitch-hicker (this is Matt, by the way). From what I can see, it looks like you have some nice liverock there. I'll have to swing on over one of these days and check out the set up.

Welcome to the hobby! :)

-Matt

I heard that Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranch are very good for this type of anemone, and it would only eat aiptasias , they only bad thing is that when they are no more aiptasia they die. :cry:

My peppermint ate a big one... a little at a time. It took about a week but it got smaller every day until it was gone. Don't count the peppermint out until you've tried it! They're not bad as tank inhabitants go anyway.

Multiplies like crazy and stings everything in the tank. Once they get ahold they are almost impossible to eradicate. They will get on the back of your rock and you will never find them all. It's best to qt your lr in a bucket and a light and watch for the aptasia to come out to nuke them with Joe's Juice before they ever get into your tank.

Back
Top Bottom