Hitchhiker On My Rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcgeek20120

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi eveeyone, stocked up my 29 gallon sw tank with some more live rock... Got a hitchhiker that looks like an aptisia anenome.... Just tryijg to get confirmation on this, and if so, whats a quick way to remove it? I think i have some smaller ones growing too....
I have 2 firefish in this tank and dont need them to die!
ForumRunner_20121129_154446.jpg

I think you can inject it with hot water or lemon juice... Maybe someone can chime in. Or you could get a peppermint shrimp.

That is an aptisia though right? and peppermint shrimp... Soubds like an idea.. Thanks!

First, deep breath! These are unlikely to kill your fish, certainly at this size.
There are many ways to remove them.
1) If the rocks they are on are small, you can remove the rocks and use a bic lighter to burn them off. That'll get them! Fairly easy if the rocks are removable, and very effective.
2) You can also inject with lemon juice, kalk paste, aiptasia X, boiling water, etc. Be aware that unless the *entire* anemone is completely dead, it will grow back. Any living tissue at all will grow back.
3) Try peppermint shrimp. These are hit or miss. I've had good luck with them, but I hear a lot of these guys ignore the aiptasia in favor of easier food. Also, fish or shrimp that eat them carry the same proviso as #2. They rarely get every last bit. They control aiptasia rather than eradicate it. When the shrimp is gone, the aiptasia returns. Not a problem if you like the shrimp, though.
4) Berghia Nudibranch. Obligate aiptasia eaters. WILL eat it. Will NOT eat anything else. Hard to find, but very effective. They will devour every last cell of aiptasia and not touch anything else. But they can be pricey and hard to find. When the infestation is gone, best to give them to someone else. Really not cost effective except for major infestations.
Hope this helps show the options!

When you say burn them off, just take the lighter straight through it? i really like peppermint shrimp, they have a nice red color, if i get say 3, would that control them to where my fish will never see them again?

To burn off, hold the rock in one hand with the aiptasia hanging down. Flick your bic and hold the flame so that the tip is against the anemone. I imagine this will stink. Hold like this until the anemone is completely gone... then go a little longer. You want the pace where it was to be completely dry and hot to the touch. I'd wait a moment before putting the rock back in to avoid rapid temperature changes resulting in expansion/contraction related crumbling.
As for the shrimp, if you only have a couple aiptasia then in theory one shrimp could keep it under control. But remember, not all peppermints will eat it. When my brother was 8, he decided he didn't like pizza. This lasted years. There's no accounting for taste, and who really understands who shrimp think? With three, I'd day the odds if at least one thinking they're yummy are pretty good.

I ended up heading out and getting the shrimp as it seemed like the best way. They are getting the job done. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom