Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
How did I miss this 3" fish?

We recently (yesterday) added a few things to our tank. We added some snails of various sorts, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, three sand-sifting cucumbers, and a peppermint shrimp. It was just your every-day cleanup crew.

Tonight, I looked at the tank and saw a fish that was approximately 2.5-3.0" in size swimming in the tank. I swear there is no way I missed putting this fish in. You don't accidentally add a fish to your tank, do you? Anyway, I did my best to get some pictures of this thing. It seems to have a long fin running along its bottom side. It has two very small fins near its head. The head and front fins kind of look like a curious wormfish to me. It swims in place almost verticle looking down at the sand.

Can anyone identify this and tell me how in the heck it may have gotten in my tank??? I have some more pictures if they would help, but these are a couple of the best.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I can't help you with ID, but that is one neat find! If it turns out not to be harmfull or grows too big I would keep it!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another thing I forgot to mention is that it came out at night. The timer for my lights accidentally got messed up and after the lights had been out for 30 minutes or so last night, they came back on. I went in to turn them back off and saw this little guy.

If he's nocturnal, I doubt I'm going to be able to keep him fed. I have serious doubts about his chances of survival in this case. I'm still really curious what in the world he could be, though!

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 04-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Wow that's some strange, awesome looking fish. Wish i could help u but i can't

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
steve-s

Re: How did I miss this 3" fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
three sand-sifting cucumbers
It came out of one of these. Looks to be a (onestripe or lancetail?) wormfish of some type.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How does a fish come out of a cucumber?? Will this fish be a menace of some sort, or is it just another wormfish? If it's a wormfish, I don't give it a good chance of survival because I doubt it's going to eat much with the tomato clown in the tank.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How does a fish come out of a cucumber?? Will this fish be a menace of some sort, or is it just another wormfish? If it's a wormfish, I don't give it a good chance of survival because I doubt it's going to eat much with the tomato clown in the tank.
I think they live in the cucumber's bum!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

not going to lie...that thing is kind of creepy looking.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogg
Quote:
I think they live in the cucumber's bum!
Pretty much correct!

Quote:
Will this fish be a menace of some sort, or is it just another wormfish? If it's a wormfish, I don't give it a good chance of survival because I doubt it's going to eat much with the tomato clown in the tank.
It won't be a menace to the tank at all. It will however be a challenge to feed if being harassed by tank mates.

I also think I may have miss ID'd this, might be closer to if not actually a Pearlfish (Carapus bermudensis)

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This may be a day late and a buck short, but I caught one of those at a marina in NC 2 weeks ago. Same deal, transparent with big eyes. I was reaching for a shrimp when it swam out of the algae. I'm pretty sure what I caught was a juvenile eel of some sort (American Eels are common here).

Either you have an eel or I caught something I should have kept (wormfish), because they are identical.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

It looks very much like an American Eel elver.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com