how do I grow cool algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw3ll3r3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay the title is a little broad and people might be confused, but I'm asking how do I grow the cool pretty algae I see at the aquarium stores? I understand the difference between reef and algae. I have a rather new aquarium, it's only been astonished for a few months, it's cycling and I have several fish!

Find some cool algae and put it in your tank. The light requirement isn't super demanding, I grow 8 diff varieties under a screw in power compact bulb I got from lowes for 10$

Do you mean coralline algae or decorative macro algae?
Either way, reeffanman is right that it will need to be introduced. For coralline algae, typically it arrives on rock and eventually spreads. You may also be able to scrape some off a different tank and introduce the flakes, which will sporulate and spread.
For macro algae, you'll probably need to purchase specimens and follow the individual care requirements. Most will need near reef quality lighting. Some are sensitive to high nutrient levels, but most are pretty tolerant and can even be used to control nutrients. Some require calcium, such as shaving brush or halimeda. Liveaquaria and live-plants.com are good starting points, and will provide some basic info about the care of different species.

Agreed. Just remember algae doesn't necessarily need blue reef lighting like what is used for corals. It s all about PAR, so even a cheap flood light will work fine to grow most algaes.

Right. I should have been more specific. I was referring to intensity more so than color. Thanks for clarifying!

Yeah. My macros are currently doing well under a very bright gooseneck desk lamp. Lol. But they do need bright light. Usually.

I would like natural algae to grow all over my live rock, is there a way to speed the process, but I don't want harmful algae, if there is such a thing

If you want cool algae in your tank, you also need to keep any type of tang out of the tank. Otherwise, your algae is going to be a perfect meal for them.

If you want cool algae in your tank, you also need to keep any type of tang out of the tank. Otherwise, your algae is going to be a perfect meal for them.

Depending on the type of macro. I have found 5 types that my tang doesn't like he prefers to eat off the veggie clip

And the size of the tank. Too small and the best diet in the world won't help. Find some rocks with algae you like and add them to the tank.

well so far my blue tang clean every type of algae in my tank, even tried very hard on the hair algae from time to time. You really taking a chance for having a tang in the same tank of macro algae tho

In general, any algae that isn't calcified or toxic will appeal to most herbivores. Having lots of algae growing is good, because it encourages the natural grazing behavior, provided the tank is large enough.

I've experimented with how much caleurpa my foxface can eat. I have yet to present him with a quantity of algae that he cannot eliminate in a day. He's pretty small, comparatively. Watching him, I'm fairly sure a healthy tang could clean out my fuge in less than a week.

Just a quick question, i don't want to highjack this thread. will a coral beauty graze on macro algae?

Back
Top Bottom