How many fish in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flsprophet2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read alot about people talking of total inches of fish. Is there a formula (inches of fish per gallon) that can determine how many and what kind of fish you can put in your tank? If so may I please have it so I can make sure that I don't overstock my tank.

Thank You all at AA your the best!

I believe for saltwater it's one inch of fish per five gallons. There are plenty of exceptions though and some will have to do with eating habits. Like large carnivorous fish are alot messier than the large herbivors, etc. Compatibility is a bit trickier. Sometimes it maybe just be in the order you add the fish moreso than the temperament of the fish. Just be sure to research the fish before you buy. Here is a link to a compatibility chart one of the AA advisor fixed up. It should help.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php

How's your ammonia and nitrate been running? I'm thinking an indicator of too many fish are those levels. Notice you've got plenty of rock - and a refugium. No messy eaters either.

So, compatability, available swimming space (does it look crowded with everyone taking up the same space?), filtration, and water volume would likely determine fish load. Lot's of variables IMO. Maybe a rock dwelling fish - takes up different space than those you have.

Back
Top Bottom