I notice one of my live rocks has a growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)

Actually, couldn't you, in theory, have the laser pumped through a short length of fiber optic cable that you have in the tank? That would allow you to have the bulk of the energy focused right on the buggers without dissipating it through the water (or melting holes in the glass).

This is getting a little off topic, but yes, that would work okay, but a high temperature fiber optic cable that can take that kind of energy is expensive. Used in the medical industry most often to burn off growths.. It is powered by a big refrigerator sized UV laser. It would in theory blast a aiptaisia. But there is also the fact the organism is surrounded by water, not air. The water conducts heat and causes a deformation of the beam as high temperatures causes the water to distort the light, means you have to pulse the laser or use more power.

I guess friggin' sharks with laser beams is the only way, then :)

Or...better yet, what was already discussed. Good luck getting rid of the buggers...

I just bought me one of those tiny hand held underwater torches it's about the size of a pen at home depot $22.
works nice no more moving rocks around just cook the pest under water

I just bought me one of those tiny hand held underwater torches it's about the size of a pen at home depot $22.
works nice no more moving rocks around just cook the pest under water

So you put the device under water and press a button and boom it's gone do u have a pic I it ?

I just glue the crap out of any aptasia I see. May not be the most efficient way of eliminating them but I get so much satisfaction from encasing them with acrylic.

Jabba the Hutt?

peter-griffin-in-carbonite.jpg

Question are a power head and wave maker thensame thing? I have a mj1200 in my 39 biocube but I feel like it might be too poeerful

Back
Top Bottom