ID Help please....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morbid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
These look to me to be button polyps... but they are at the biggest 1mm tall and if the heads of them are open they are maybe 2mm wide. They started out on my LR as a hitchhiker about 5 months ago and the colony has propigated to about 5 times the size (5 times the size is about the size of a 50 cent piece). They do go to sleep like a polyp would once the lights go out. This picture is the best i can get. The rock can't be moved, my GBTA has decided that the best place to be is straddling this rock and another.
can anyone ID these Please.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 56
Do they fluoresce under blue or UV light? If so, id guess zoanthids of some type. Thats what the look like to me too. When touched, do they turn themselves outside in?

Matt

The polyps look more like the polyps on a Turbinaria, and some of that species are encrusting type corals. Turbinaria radicalis and Turbinaria stellulata are a couple encrusting types I found in my books. Maybe do some Google image searches on those and see if they don't look like what you have.

Hi

Matt, They do very faintly Fluoresce under my moonlights. I have not touched them yet but at night all of the polyps (I’m going to call them that until I know different) shrink down into the base and they look like a thin layer of algae with bright green dots. I don't know if this will help but I also have a white one with white polyps and a white one with a very faint light green polyp.

Kurt, I looked up Turbinaria corals and the only one that looks a little like them is the white one, but these ones are so much thinner. If some of them are not white I would say that it looks like they are coming up out of algae they are not bleached the white ones grow white.

My bubble tip looks like it’s on the move again, so I may have more pics of them soon.

Back
Top Bottom