ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jprince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys

My tank has really started to come to life now. I hope you all can ID a few things for me. The first is the white puffy looking item that the crab is just about to crawl on. It appears to be some sort of sponge(?). The second is the brownish "blob" looking item on the left of the rock. It has grown in size fairly quickly, and appears to have a "center" mass to it. I have tried to search for info, but can't seem to find anything similar. Thanks, and enjoy the pics.

Jeff

Attachments

• tank 018.jpg
    tank 018.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 62
  • tank 020.jpg
    tank 020.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 60
  • tank 022.jpg
    tank 022.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 60
  • tank 023.jpg
    tank 023.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 62
More pics.

Attachments

• tank 007.jpg
    tank 007.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 48
  • tank 012.jpg
    tank 012.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 54
  • tank 016.jpg
    tank 016.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 57
  • tank 026.jpg
    tank 026.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 67
Nice pics. I guess the white thing could be a sponge. Not quite sure the Brown thing in the other set of pics looks like a mushroom coral. Again great looking tank.

Agree with melosu58 about the white thing, it *could* be a sponge. Is it hard or soft? If it's hard, then I might wonder if it's a dead or bleached SPS coral like a porites or stylophora or something along that line.

The brown thing looks like some type of encrusting coral also, or like melosu said a mushroom.

Nice looking tank! By the way... is that upper most rock more stable than it appears in the picture? Is it resting on the back glass, or is it epoxied in place? It just looks kinda tippy up there.

Thanks for the info. It's so fascinating seeing what appears on the rock each day. The upper most rock sits in a pocket on the other rocks, and is in fact leaning against the back glass. I had it all freestanding at one point, but have since leaned the top rock back for safety reasons.

Thanks for the info. It's so fascinating seeing what appears on the rock each day. ...

Just wait! You ain't seen nothing yet! I was amazed at the things showing up on my rock 6 months after I started it. I still am amazed at the new things that show up, obviously hitchiking in on new corals.

i am going with both of those are sponges. Big ugly brown sponges are common, (although most are colorful). Also many sponges have some degree of firmness. Nobody does sponge species Ids, no good guides on them.

Back
Top Bottom