ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a type of algae growing on one rock in my tank. It almost looks like red slime algae but it's green. It's transparent in spots (probably new growth). I know it's not GHA. Is it a type of green macro algae? What ever it is, what is the best way to get rid of it? I've had a refugium for the past 1 1/2 years and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the algae in the tank.
DSCN2127.jpg

DSCN2128.jpg

DSCN2129.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality.

Keith

Really need a better pic. Is that buble algea too?

The algae looks hair like, but it's not HA. A better pic will help,

Green star polyps these are a coral ,and can grow in plague portions in short order... IF you are speaking of the stuff behind it it is aforum of red/green slime algea which is a bacteria , increase H20 flow , siphion and scrub off and limit nutrients , a better pic will help if possible ..

Sorry about the pic quality. I had to use an old camera. I don't have my newer camera set up with my computer yet. As for the coral, yes it is green star polyps but I was more interested in the green spot behind it. I thought it was some kind of cyano or macro algae but I have never seen cyano in that color or form before. I siphoned as much of it off as I could when I did a water change today, but it was actually growing on top of the green star polyps so I was somewhat hesitant to scrub. It came off fairly easy. I have a koralia 2 blowing directly on the rock (I like the flowing motion) so I don't think the flow is the problem.
I recently changed the type of food I feed my corals though, so I could be over feeding. I'm using Kent Chroma Max. The directions say one drop per 50 gallons. I have a 75 gallon tank so I put two drops in. Maybe I'll try one drop and see how it does.

Reduce the drops to 1 gtts and the food limit the supply try feeding only 2 or 3 times a week no more than they can conusme in 20-30 seconds the less you feed the more they get from it and generally the less that falls to the bottom to decay ...... Slime algea is generally called blue/ green and it also comes in red ... just continue to siphion and perhaps remove the rock use a tooth brush gently around the gsp and swish in fresh salt water then replace to your tank ... if needed you can use something called chemi clean DO NOT treat this in your tank take out the piece ad treat in a seprate contatiner , it is a forum of antibotic and will KILL off your biological filters in your tank.... once treated you can replace it into your tank , you should only need to treat 1 or 2 times at most if the siphioning and scrubbing does not work , This is LAST resort in my opnion ... you may also wish to check your lighting as the spectrum may have shifted ....

i would stop using that kent chroma max. you don't need it.
also, about "chemi-clean" - it's not an antibiotic. you are thinking about "red slime remover".
chemi-clean is perfectly safe for your tank if used as directed, and will not effect the beneficial bacteria.
i've used it many times on customers' tanks who like to overfeed.
the cause of the cyano (this is what i believe it to be) is excess nutrients. changes in flow won't help. what is needed is removal of dissolved organic compounds, via water changes, skimming, mechanical filtration...

what is your water change regimen like?

Back
Top Bottom