ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A

Annie

Can anyone tell me what kind of coral this is? I'm sure its a mushroom but anyone know what kind? Thanks

Well...rather than say "I don't know"...again :lol: , I did a little digging. I do not believe it is ricordea, I think it is Discisoma (=Actinodiscus) sp. I can't find a link with a bunch of pics, but that is what I think. Unless someone has one of these and has done the reasearch, I think it is doubtful that you will be able to ID it further than the genus. I did find a description of a particular ricordea that I found could fit the bill...Ricordea cf. yuma.

Jullian Sprung from [url said:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2002/invert.htm]There[/url] are two widely recognized species of Ricordea, R. florida from the Atlantic and Caribbean, and R. yuma from the Indo-Pacific region. Both are very popular in the aquarium trade. Ricordea yuma is readily distinguished from R. florida by the fact that the former has pseudotentacles on the oral cone, while the latter does not. Also, R. florida often has numerous mouths and elongated irregular polyps, while R. yuma is usually circular, with one mouth. All are spectacular due to the grape-like tentacles on their oral disc, but some especially prized specimens have brilliant fluorescent proteins in shades of orange, red, pink, blue, and green.

R. yuma
p_84549.jpg

Thanks lol RR. I know I prob wont find the exact but thats the fun of my tank! I just keep looking because its fun to find out bunches of stuff on all my wee corals :invasion:

I have some shrooms in my tank that look exactly like that. Mine are a little greener in color though. Funny thing...they will close up just like a zoanthid if disturbed...wad up in a tight little ball. None of my other shrooms do this. Have you noticed yours ever closing up like that? It usually happens when one of the crabs tramples it.
Logan J

Well, I did the google images search and since there were only 4 pages....I didn't consider that...alot :lol:

I think we have ID'd the shrooms as Ricordea yuma.

Back
Top Bottom