ID Please :))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wildsy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Popped in to the LFS today and saw this..

Turned out it was only £29.99 so I went ahead and bought it, have no clue what it is and don't even know if it is SPS/LPS

Any help would be much appreciated :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389566643.570167.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389566668.618837.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic but maybe a scroll coral,.. If it's a Hollywood stunner chalice that's an insane deal for that many eyes.

I don't think it's a scroll coral given the color, and the shape makes me think it's not a Hollywood stunner either. Could it be an encrusting montipora of some kind?

The "eyes"/"polyps" are way to big to be a monti. I'm sticking with a scroll lol.

The "eyes"/"polyps" are way to big to be a monti. I'm sticking with a scroll lol.

I think you're right that the eyes are too large to be a monti as I continue to look at the pics. BUT I think the coralites and the polyps seem very small for a scroll, and I've never seen a scroll with that kind of coloration. It seems closest to a Hollywood stunner chalice, but the shape is kind of "melty" for the colony as a whole as it looks like it is creeping over the rockwork. What I've observed is that chalices tend to lift off of the rockwork, and may form structures like a monti cap will (rosettes or whorls). I have a chalice of some sort I've had for two years that's gone from six eyes to over a hundred, and it hasn't conformed or encrusted to the rock at all. (It's colored somewhat like a Hollywood stunner, but the eyes are bigger and a brighter green and the base color is more lavender. It strikes me as a cross between pink boobies and Hollywood stunner.) It's basically grown just in the shape of a disk growing pretty much over the rockwork.

At maybe six months:
41906-albums2492-picture54811.jpg

March 13, 2013
41906-albums2492-picture53213.jpg

July 7, 2013
41906-albums2492-picture64999.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any more recent photos I can get to.

Definetly a turbinaria reniformis. I have seen the purple and green variations before and those corralites look to be the correct size IMO

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definetly a turbinaria reniformis. I have seen the purple and green variations before and those corralites look to be the correct size IMO

No I disagree now. The last photos the op posted show it is definitely a type of chalice

The op didn't post the pictures of the Hollywood stunner chalice.

Its ok haha. I do agree the other pictures are a Hollywood stunner tho. But I have seen turbinaria reniformis in that coloration before. Rarely, but I have seen it

Back
Top Bottom