Id please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friction

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, Bought some LR this week and have some questions about what came with my purchase please. What is the green bubble like thing on LR? I've also noticed it occasionally shoots out a milky substance. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391257465.435523.jpg

If you're talking about the thing centered in the photo it looks like a mildly unhappy palythoa, though I have never personally seen them shoot out anything milky I suppose it's possible. Be patient and see if it opens up more then we'll be able to get a better idea of what it may be

Nope, the dark green thing just under it.

The only thing I can make out on my phone below that is some clumpy looking algae, the only thing I've seen in my tank that shoots out anything milky is a stomatella snail that's in there, I not sure if that's part of its reproduction process or if it's just expelling waste but I again I can't really make too much out on my phone

I will try to get a better picture. Thanks for that

Anything I need to do to it? Can't seem to find it online to learn anything about it. Thank you

If it's a sponge, they're filter feeders constantly straining the water for nutrients not much that I can think of for feeding other than phytoplankton, you can buy it bottled but you really don't need to, most sponges I see in tanks seem to come and go at random

Don't feed it phyto you will muck your tank up. Sponges come and go based on available nutrients in the water. Just leave it be and don't be surprised if it disappears one day. Also, no way you will be able to get an id one the exact species as sponges (prorifera) is such a vast phylum.

If you're talking about the thing centered in the photo it looks like a mildly unhappy palythoa, though I have never personally seen them shoot out anything milky I suppose it's possible. Be patient and see if it opens up more then we'll be able to get a better idea of what it may be

What makes a palythoa unhappy?

Since you just purchased it and put it in this week I'd say that it's simply getting adjusted to your tank, it may just take a few more days

Great tony, it's codium arabicum! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391669931.223601.jpg
Now just need to see if I leave it in or take it out.

Back
Top Bottom