ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waynage01

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me what this is. When I first got my live rock I saw it but it looked dead. The rock has been in my tank for 3 weeks now and it has started go green. I'm a complete newby to salt water. Finding things all the time so be ready to ID more things from me. CheersImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408868782.906811.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I see green algae. Now if you are talking about the coral on the left we will need to now more. Do the polyps ever come out? What do they look like? Can you get a closer picture of just the coral?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wikipedia search siderastrea siderea

Its hard to tell without a polyp picture but it appears the had a growth ring.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply guys. No polyps have come out. Think sniperhank you may be right that is is algae giving it the green colour. If anything develops il post more pictures. Thanks again.

It's been a week since I posted the last picture and it turns out not to be a skeleton with algae growing in it. This is what it now looks like. Can anybody help with an ID pleaseImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409434063.008432.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409434078.481365.jpg

Can you turn the rock so the possible coral gets full light and good water flow to see if it will start opening up.It is looking like it could be a flower pot trying to revive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Moving it isn't really possible as it's in the middle and at the bottom of my rock formation. It gets good light but I had turned them off. I seemed to be able to get a better picture this way. I can move/adjust powerhead to send flow more in its direction.

Thanks. I googled Siderastrea radians and it says they are found in the Western Atlantic. My live rock came from Fiji. Am guessing it is from the siderastrea family as it looks the same or similar.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom