ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ric221

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
could someone please tell me what these tubes are have been the tank for awhile now and would kinda like to know what they are

Attachments

• PICT0715.JPG
    PICT0715.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 85
Kinda hard to see .....in that pic you have an apasia in the front that you may wish to nuke ...
Now to the guess is it soft , hard ,does it have a "crown " that goes in and out like a feather duster ? does it move could be a tunicate or sponge but it is hard to say for sure

I agree, could be a sponge and the thing in the front of it is aiptasia, they will multiply super fast.

+++EDIT+++
Welcome to AA!!

Last edited:
that is the best picture that i could get sry. no crown and it is soft it will withdraw if you get close to it. as for the other they are already out of control. going to get a nudi or some shrimp to help get them under control. tank is fowlr so i'm not worried just yet.

berghia nudi's will eventually starve unless you cultivate aptasia (not recommended if you want to keep other corals ) Joes juice , or kalk paste will work , I have tried lemmon jusice and also boiling water and have not had great results as I have with joes juice , I have also used peppermint shrimp with sucess , they will scavange food after it rids them tho they may become lazy after bit tho .. as for the ID not sure what it is tunicate may retract when disturbed ... Sponges generally do not

Does it have really fine clear threadlike things coming out of the tube? You might have to look at it at night, or at a different angle to see them. If so, then it's a type of hydroid. If not, then I'd go with the tunicate.

Regarding the aiptasia, peppermint shrimp *may* eat little ones, depending on its mood. But if you've got an infestation, I'd go with the kalk paste or Joe's Juice pronto! Then once you get all the ones you can see, the peppermint shrimp will get all the ones you can't see!

Almost looks to be a bleached Playthoa reaching for more light. As for the aiptasia, just use Calcium Hydroxide since that's what Joe's Juice essentially is.

Back
Top Bottom