ID please...hitch hiker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
This fellow just started showing itself within a new coral and is extremely fast retracting. It is between the blasto and morphs. It appears to have thorn like protrusions just below its head and is tubular in shape. Pretty sure it had banding as well and antennae. Need to make sure it's not harmful to fish or corals. ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415159859.261286.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It looked like it did but it was so quick retracting after it spotted me.

Try and get a better picture I see something but it's to dark to tell

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just googled predator worms and I am pretty sure it's a bobbit. I have progressively had 4 fish disappear since I bought them Sun with no trace. I bought the coral on the Friday. This is what it looks like with the antennae and thorns around the head. Could there be a similar worm? As mentioned it was super fast retracting when it saw me. Next question, how do I catch it ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415273441.641186.jpg

Take the coral out and dip it in something. The worm will exit the coral, and then you can put it back in the tank after a rinse. Coral RX or some other aggressive reef dip should work fine.

Thanks. I actually soaked the coral in a coral dip for about 10mins before adding it to the tank but it survived. Am thinking if it hasn't migrated, returning the coral to the store but I'm afraid of handling it now : (

Take a piece of tuber ware cut a hole in the top with some shrimp in it and turn the lights off it's probably nocturnal keep an eye on it because it will eventually find it's way back out

Thanks. I had a pretty late night researching how to remove it and the only guy with success took the rock out and sprayed spritzer water for 15mins into the hole. I'm not sure I can do that with coral and I have concerns there may be two as I saw it on the right side initially then it came out from the left within a min or so. I've already lost $80 worth of new fish and can only put it down to that worm as water params are fine (except phos 0.25). The tank has finished cycling for 9 weeks. I just have to hope the horse hasn't bolted and I can take the coral back to the shop.

Put it in your refugium then it won't harm anything els in the aquarium at least until you get it out

Thought similar but won't fit in sump- no refugium either- see pic. Would it survive long in a large bucket if I isolate it and try to trap the worm with bait in a bottle?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415301139.320782.jpg

I'm sure it would I had my tank totally unplugged for like a week when I moved and nothing died you could probably just move the rock it's in onto the sand bed and put your trap by it.

I wouldn't keep it in a bucket for a week though it will probably be fine but y risk it. If it's away from the rest of the live rock it will probably stay put because I'm sure it also has predators

If you are trying to get something out of a rock...dip the whole thing in ro/di water. Being dunked in non-saltwater will send everything living in that rock running out quickly...to it's own doom...but quickly. Shouldn't have any long term effects on any coral.

I took the coral back to. The LFS today and received a full credit. Hopefully the bobbit remained in the coral.

Back
Top Bottom