Id poss anenome? On patch of purple LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, is this guy okay? I'm afraid the coraline is bleaching around where he popped out, and I recently replaced all 4 th5o bulbs on a used and noisy fixture I got a few weeks ago, but all my new bulbs ended up being blue and no white ones(lol)

Will the blue lighting negatively affect the nem or the remaining deep purple coraline on my LR? I could get white bulbs tomorrow, but would rather price shop online and wait a few weeks if possible.

I'm afraid to lose both, my tank seems full cycled but its only been set up 2 months.

Ideas? Thanks all :)

Here's the photo-- he is just below the white shell towards the center

Btw I have lots of flow over him from 2 koralia 750's - sorry if these photos aren't great! He's kinda cloudy white and has a "neck" from the rock and looks just like an anemone to me

Attachments

• image-664515567.jpg
    image-664515567.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image-3969991149.jpg
    image-3969991149.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 164
Looks like aptasia anemone which are not the kind you want. don't try to scrape as it will break apart and spread. I found aptasiX works well and is reasonably priced. Your LFS may carry peppermint shrimp but they are hit and miss on if they'll eat them.

Yep that is aiptasia, boiling lemon juice works well. Don't poke it or try to manually remove it in the water if you can pull the rock get clippers and dig it out, best way to remove them IMO is to dig them out with clippers.

You can kill it very easily with aptasia-x, joes juice, kalkwasser paste, vinegar in a syringe. Some folks have had luck with a syringe full of boiling water even.
No big deal.

Any hope for the coraline?

I just bought a grip of white vinegar to clean a used tank, ill pull the rock and do a clipper/vinegar/juice attack and then eat him. JK.

I got a single 10,000K bulb, last one in stock. How long of a time period would be ideal for keeping any coraline alive? 3 blue and one daylight 48" bulbs over a 55g with 30/70 lbs of my rock being live

coralline can stay alive under a normal curly-q energy saver bulb. Coralline has nothing to do with the rock being "live".

Well then I will just watch it slowly bleach away... My **** T5HO fan is so noisy I can hear it on my back porch! I'm going back to the silent fluorescent crap lighting if there is no point in baking the rocks and inverts.

As long as you don't plan to keep corals, you should be able to keep plenty of coralline under a "silent crap" lighting fixture.

Thanks I found aptasiaX at my lfs and I used the syringe and nailed him. Then I found another one on the next rock over, nailed him too!

Attachments

• image-1355569606.jpg
    image-1355569606.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 77
I have a question, when you use the syringe with lemon juice do you actually inject it inside, or no needle, just blast right into the mouth area? And this is ok to do inside the tank?

You want to get it in its mouth or the center of the aptasia, if your like I have a shakey hand so ill inject mouth and cover it too. Very important though is to make sure all your pumps are off before and for about 15 minutes to half hour after

You want the syringe to pierce the flesh, so you fill it with the acidic or alkaline liquid. kalkwasser paste can just be put in the mouth, and a bit more on the shriveled glob it will retract into.

I did the first one and I watched the second one get dosed by someone else.

I moved through the still water slowly, escape from NY, and when I was less than a centimeter away I plunged it into the middle of his mouth- or the center of the disk, then squeezed the needle slowly and it certainly filled the body cavity and squirted out in a few places. So then I put another 1/4 syringe over him like a whipped cream pie.

I was a bit unclear telling my friend what to do and they did not pierce the second aptasia but blanketed it rather.

Later, the aptasiaX blew away with the current and the second aptasia was burned and lost all his tentacles but a clear tree stump mound was still visible.

Round three I stabbed the needle like I was in pulp fiction :) I'm satisfied for now

Back
Top Bottom