ID saltwater shrimp, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had these shrimp (clear with black or dark brown stripes and spots, the color depending on what they eat) in my aquarium a while back, having caught them from the seagrass beds right off the beach in southern Florida, but have no idea what they are. Unfortunately, these pictures are all I have, and they've been eaten by the pinfish (Lagodon Rhomboides) seen in the background of the first picture so I can't get any more pictures. The only two shrimp I know that look like this are grass shrimp, or amano shrimp, but those are both freshwater shrimp, and the ones I had survived for over a month in saltwater, and came from saltwater.

Below, the shrimp is at the bottom of the picture, chewing on a brine shrimp flake (The orange flakes at the bottom)
shrimp1ur0.jpg

And below this picture, there is one shrimp in the foreground that had recently eaten a brine shrimp flake (notice the orange color through his clear body), and a shrimp in the background eating a brine shrimp flake
shrimp2ex6.jpg

Also I've caught a number of these shrimp as juveniles, and they look like blades of grass encased in a clear cover (like ice), leading me to believe they are in fact grass shrimp.

Hmmm, is this a brackish tank?
If so, we can move it to the FW/Brackish section.

Welcome to the site!

"having caught them from the seagrass beds right off the beach in southern Florida"
DUH, sorry I missed that! LOL!
I'll move this to the SW ID section.
Come on now, I am having an off night...it's already in the SW ID section....wow, I need a vacation!

Last edited:
Looks like a penaeid to me - though it's hard to tell from the photo. This family (Panaeidae) includes the bulk of the commercially fished (for food) shrimp species.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom