Identification and Compatibility Question - Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VoiceOfReason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First of all, thanks for a tremendous resource and community.

I'm about to acquire a new 60 gallon tank. My plan is to merge the contents with my existing 18 gallon tank, but I'm a bit worried about compatibility.

The existing tank hosts my 2 perculas. Lets be clear, it is their tank.
The new tank has a coral banded shrimp and a brittlestar.
starandshrimp.jpg

Down the road, when things are stable, I plan to add a bubble tip anemone for the clowns.

I've read thru the WWM ID and compatibility pages on the brittlestar, but I'm unsure if I might encounter a problem. Although he's not green, I'm unsure of his genus/species and I don't want to take the risk if he might threaten the clowns. Help!

As for the coral banded shrimp, the WWM collection seemed to suggest that they *might* go after fish in some cases as well.

Given that there are no fish in the new tank, I wonder if the previous owner had a problem. Perhaps it isn't worth the risk? I really don't want any trouble makers!

If I decided not to keep them, any ideas?

Many thanks,
Jeff

I would not worry about it. Most fish rest near the surface where the brittle star cannot get them. You really only have to worry about small gobies and such. Clowns would be pretty hard for a brittle star to hold onto and eat.

I have one the same color and he is huge!!
No problem, he is a good citizen. Its the green ones you have to watch.
Target feed him a pellet or 2 a couple time a week and that will keep him happy. :)

Austindad - TONS in the tank that I am acquiring - much of the rock is overgrown with it and hair algae. The current owner pretty much let it go. I'm going to salvage what I can and discard the rest.

Quarryshark - Knowing you also have perculas makes me feel much better. I looked at your gallery but didn't see a picture of the star. Would you post one? Any idea of his genus/species? The guys at WetWebMedia suggested genus Ophionereis. He is large, I'm guessing his arms are 4" long so he looks pretty intimidating in a 60g.

Thanks for the input everyone! Please continue.

I looked at your gallery but didn't see a picture of the star. Would you post one
I will try, but he only comes out totally at night. I will catch him out once in a while in the early AM.
I'm guessing his arms are 4" long so he looks pretty intimidating in a 60g
Mine is easily a foot across now, very cool star. Have had him for a year and a half. Like a said, a perfect gentleman to this point. :)
Seriously target feed him, It sure can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom