ID's please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ms705jk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was born into this hobby 14 days ago. And already I think my lfs is bending me over. But thats a different thread. I have 3 turbo snails and they all have hitchhikers. Can y'all tell me what they are. I dont think they will hurt anything since it looks like there just cleaning my water

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131117_215925.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131117_215925.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 116
What exactly are you referring to on the shell? Can you circle the area.

Are you referring to the two small striped protrusions? If so, those are the legs of a mini brittle star. Perfectly harmless.

I think they are some sort of worm...like a spionid worm or vermatid snail. The thing in the foreground is a barnacle. None of them are harmful. that said, I sure hope those snails have food in that new tank. Is it cycled? Those rocks look bare.

I think they are some sort of worm...like a spionid worm or vermatid snail. The thing in the foreground is a barnacle. None of them are harmful. that said, I sure hope those snails have food in that new tank. Is it cycled? Those rocks look bare.

Yes the tank has cycled. But the snails have got to go. They cleaned all the rock in about 4 days. They poop everywhere and im pretty sure they turned my green corralin white. Im new to sw and my lfs got me. So I did see a very small barnacle looking thing on the snails back. But had no idea anything ever came out of them. Thanks a lot

No...a cycle turned your green coralline white. Not to worry, it will come back. These snails won't eat coralline algae. They need algae though, or they will starve.

Thats what ive gathered from reading different threads on the forum. I had no idea that I didn't need 3 turbo snails and a sand star for my 9 gallon nano! I do now. Its good to know the green will come back. I like it better than the purple

I believe he was indicating that the sand sifter needs to go. Probably because they starve to death in even most large systems. Most estimates I've read indicate anything under 100 gallons is too small for sand sifting star.

Oh I got it. I was joking. I dont think anyone would want it. Perhaps it would look good bleached, hanging from my wifes rearview mirror

Back
Top Bottom