Interesting " flower"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just saw this white " flower" on my rock. As I was admiring it, it suddenly retracted and was gone! Slowly it inched its way back open again. When a fish passes by it will close up and disappear. Any ideas what it might be?

Attachments

• image-1152885617.jpg
    image-1152885617.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 261
I'm new to saltwater... But I thought feather dusters looked more like a small "feather"?

I certainly don't know! If it helps with the ID at all, this thing is tiny....smaller than a pencil eraser when it is fully open. It appears to be on a stalk but when it is retracted it just looks like a dot on the rock.

I'm thinking some type of anemone. Possibly pseudocorynactis?

I was just looking over my live rock an I have one in a crack towards the back of my live rock. It looks just like yours.

Look at me now! The " flower" has grown a bit and you can see a black ring in it now. I have also discovered at least 5 more of them on this same rock, but they are more brown in color. Deep in the crack there is a white tube with bright orange "feathers". Too recessed for me to get a good pic

Do y'all still think this is a feather duster?

The second pic is just zoomed in a bit to show you the black ring better but it loses clarity.

Attachments

• image-2991741121.jpg
    image-2991741121.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image-3126973421.jpg
    image-3126973421.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 136
I still think its a feather duster, I have a few that don't have 'stems' or at least you can't see them, they just appear to come out a rock...

You will eventually see the tube protrude out of the rock as it grows. It's pretty btw

It's is a feather duster...I have a few different types in my tanks...sometimes the tube is in a hole in the rock and when it grows more you will start to see the tube more

Back
Top Bottom