Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Invasive Sponge? Please help.

Found this growing directly on the white daisy flowered shaped coral. Has a hive like appearance where it is wider at the base and narrower at the top with a hole in the center.

Both photos are identical with one a blow-up of the wider shot.

Have no clue with this came from and first noticed it about 2-days ago. Someone suggested it is a sponge.

How do I get rid of the thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120304-00014 sm.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	80777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hive Hole_0304-00014_cr.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	80778  

Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Just take the coral out and cut the sponge off.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Just take the coral out and cut the sponge off.
LOL Too easy. Thank you!

Sometimes what seems obvious is the wrong move for a novice. So, does this appear to you as an invasive sponge? I'm stumped how it got in there as I haven't added anything to this tank (save water changes and food) since mid-December and it's now just made an appearance.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are spores and beginnings of things that may not show up for a year or more. That's what I love most about reef tanks.
I wouldn't lose the sponge. I think It's as attractive and interesting as the coral it's growing on. A great conversation piece at least.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest you vacuum up that detritus on the tank bottom. That's not sand, correct? Looks like a lot of left over waste if so.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
There are spores and beginnings of things that may not show up for a year or more. That's what I love most about reef tanks.
I wouldn't lose the sponge. I think It's as attractive and interesting as the coral it's growing on. A great conversation piece at least.
Well, if it's not an invasive sponge was suggested elsewhere as in does no harm and will not take over, I'd consider it. I'd like to know more about the sponge so that I can make an educated and considered judgement about what I'm letting myself in for. I really like that coral. It's a real beauty when open and he's growing on it. Do you know anything about this particular sponge?

Quote:
I would suggest you vacuum up that detritus on the tank bottom. That's not sand, correct? Looks like a lot of left over waste if so.
Nice catch. Actually, I shot the photos just prior to doing maintenance - early morning, before the lights turned on (on for the photo only) so that I'd have room before everything opens up. This is a 20g no substrate. Originally setup as a holding tank as I had to remove all the coral and inverts from my 65g before starting a hypo treatment in it for Ich. The worst Ich cases were pulled and placed in a hospital tank with cupramine. All fish survived save for those that were too far gone before my delayed treatment (newbie mistake) was started. That said, I did try numerous ineffective "reef safe" treatments.

Anyway, I'm considering leaving this tank setup as an all reef + one tribal blenny that gets beaten up by my tomini tang (which is how the ich got started). If so, I'll think about a HOB refugia as an add-on too. At the moment, the tribal is in what was the hospital tank. He's a keeper. All personality.

More than you inquired, but thought the background would be helpful.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. there are probably as many variations of sponge as there are corals, but if it's growing incredibly fast, then you know how it's going to play out. Maybe cut it away and leave it in an area you can't place corals, because of shadowing or flow. Just an idea.
Where are you in Bucks?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
No. there are probably as many variations of sponge as there are corals, but if it's growing incredibly fast, then you know how it's going to play out. Maybe cut it away and leave it in an area you can't place corals, because of shadowing or flow. Just an idea.
Where are you in Bucks?
I'll keep a careful eye on it. Really, it's interesting but not attractive.

I'm very near Neshaminy Mall. Noticed you are in Fairless Hills. Feel free to PM.

Tags
sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Red pellets | id »