Invasive Sponge? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found this growing directly on the white daisy flowered shaped coral. Has a hive like appearance where it is wider at the base and narrower at the top with a hole in the center.

Both photos are identical with one a blow-up of the wider shot.

Have no clue with this came from and first noticed it about 2-days ago. Someone suggested it is a sponge.

How do I get rid of the thing?

Attachments

• IMG-20120304-00014 sm.jpg
    IMG-20120304-00014 sm.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Hive Hole_0304-00014_cr.jpg
    Hive Hole_0304-00014_cr.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 113
Just take the coral out and cut the sponge off.

:eek: LOL Too easy. Thank you!

Sometimes what seems obvious is the wrong move for a novice. :angel: So, does this appear to you as an invasive sponge? I'm stumped how it got in there as I haven't added anything to this tank (save water changes and food) since mid-December and it's now just made an appearance.

Thanks!

There are spores and beginnings of things that may not show up for a year or more. That's what I love most about reef tanks.
I wouldn't lose the sponge. I think It's as attractive and interesting as the coral it's growing on. A great conversation piece at least.

I would suggest you vacuum up that detritus on the tank bottom. That's not sand, correct? Looks like a lot of left over waste if so.

There are spores and beginnings of things that may not show up for a year or more. That's what I love most about reef tanks.
I wouldn't lose the sponge. I think It's as attractive and interesting as the coral it's growing on. A great conversation piece at least.

Well, if it's not an invasive sponge was suggested elsewhere as in does no harm and will not take over, I'd consider it. I'd like to know more about the sponge so that I can make an educated and considered judgement about what I'm letting myself in for. I really like that coral. It's a real beauty when open and he's growing on it. Do you know anything about this particular sponge?

I would suggest you vacuum up that detritus on the tank bottom. That's not sand, correct? Looks like a lot of left over waste if so.

Nice catch. Actually, I shot the photos just prior to doing maintenance - early morning, before the lights turned on (on for the photo only) so that I'd have room before everything opens up. This is a 20g no substrate. Originally setup as a holding tank as I had to remove all the coral and inverts from my 65g before starting a hypo treatment in it for Ich. The worst Ich cases were pulled and placed in a hospital tank with cupramine. All fish survived save for those that were too far gone before my delayed treatment (newbie mistake) was started. That said, I did try numerous ineffective "reef safe" treatments.

Anyway, I'm considering leaving this tank setup as an all reef + one tribal blenny that gets beaten up by my tomini tang (which is how the ich got started). If so, I'll think about a HOB refugia as an add-on too. At the moment, the tribal is in what was the hospital tank. He's a keeper. All personality.

More than you inquired, but thought the background would be helpful.

No. there are probably as many variations of sponge as there are corals, but if it's growing incredibly fast, then you know how it's going to play out. Maybe cut it away and leave it in an area you can't place corals, because of shadowing or flow. Just an idea.
Where are you in Bucks?

No. there are probably as many variations of sponge as there are corals, but if it's growing incredibly fast, then you know how it's going to play out. Maybe cut it away and leave it in an area you can't place corals, because of shadowing or flow. Just an idea.
Where are you in Bucks?

I'll keep a careful eye on it. Really, it's interesting but not attractive.

I'm very near Neshaminy Mall. Noticed you are in Fairless Hills. Feel free to PM.

Back
Top Bottom