Is it good or a pest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
On my live rock and a bit on the sand there is this lime green material growing, I actually like the way it looks, no hair or anything sticking out, is just starting to look more like lime green rock. Is it a pest? or good algae (hopefully)... :lol:

Not slimy, looks pretty "dry". I hope it's sponge :multi: I'll try and post a pic in a few minutes just in case :D

okay here's the pic of the stuff... :D

Attachments

• greenstuff_001.jpg
    greenstuff_001.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 125
does not look like a sponge to me... Some type of algae would be my guess. When it grows more it will be easier to tell what it is.. Will it blow off the rock?

nope, it just looks looks like dust, I also found it on the glass this a.m. so I'm thinking is definetly some kind of algae, but I'm hoping is good algae and not bad. :)

I had a similar one like that break out in my nano. Started small and dust like then over a two week period it turned into a thick sludge that started to take over everything. Had to manually remove as much as possible to get it back under control.

Hopefully yours doesn't get to that...

I hope not either!! 8O although, my tang and coral beauty are always eating the stuff from the rock... I hope they are not poisoning themselves... 8O

I have some of that green algae also, it's been on my live rock for awhile. Doesn't seem to be a nuiscence and it's not growing very fast. Isn't algae good for the tank as long as you keep it from getting out of control? Herbivorous fish need to eat algae and it shouldn't hurt them.

I do have a question about algae that may be appropriate here.

Cindy, I just purchased the same RO/DI unit that you have. Won't that unit help remove the stuff in the water that encourages green algae growth? I believe I read that somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom