Is that thing reef safe ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just bought this sea urchin... It's a short spiked... Don't know if it's reef safe, but the dude at the LFS told me thoses ones are usually reef safe..

Can you ID that thing ?

It's hard to see on my phone and won't load on my work computer. Does it look like this?
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Pincushion Urchin, Hairy

No, absolutely not... Mine look like a little white hedgehog, tiny one... It climbs on windows, etc....

He looks like friendly, but I fear he eat my corals...
83698-albums14289-picture68665.jpg

Can you get a picture of him with the whites on? Actinics really screw up coloring for identification..tie that in with I'm far from an urchin expert I just need the best shot possible.
I might not be able to 100% ID this guy for you, but from the fact that he looks similar to what I linked as well as similar to the tuxedo urchins you might be OK in terms of that. With that said, I'd keep a close eye on it still. Even tuxedos aren't that reef safe IMO, if something wants to pick up an expensive frag and take it for a ride across the tank that can kill it...

Can you get a picture of him with the whites on? Actinics really screw up coloring for identification..tie that in with I'm far from an urchin expert I just need the best shot possible.
I might not be able to 100% ID this guy for you, but from the fact that he looks similar to what I linked as well as similar to the tuxedo urchins you might be OK in terms of that. With that said, I'd keep a close eye on it still. Even tuxedos aren't that reef safe IMO, if something wants to pick up an expensive frag and take it for a ride across the tank that can kill it...

Doesn't look like tuxedos...

83698-albums14289-picture68666.jpg

As long as you have enough food growing for him I wouldnt be worried exept for the part about them grabbing coral frags and carrying them around as camo.lol also he looks (shape anyway) alot like mine. Is it red in color?

Nvm. Missed that pic you posted with the white lights. Lol

As long as you have enough food growing for him I wouldnt be worried exept for the part about them grabbing coral frags and carrying them around as camo.lol also he looks (shape anyway) alot like mine. Is it red in color?

Nvm. Missed that pic you posted with the white lights. Lol

it is white. I noticed he like carying my zoans frags everywhere... I think it is the time to sell my zoans frag and get more LPS/SPS and glue my reef rocks.

Back
Top Bottom