Is this a brittle star???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kae_shields

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am fairly new to the saltwater/reef aquarium hobby. I have admired it for years, and now I have my own 65 Gal tank with about 60 lbs of liverock. I have recently noticed anywhere from 2 to 4 or 5 long thin extensions protruding from a small hole in one of my pieces of liverock. They appear to be about 1 to 2 inches in length, and only appear at night when my tank lights are off. If I shine a light on them, the retract back into the rock. Could this be a brittle star living inside the live rock? I never see it come out of the hole, (in fact, the long arms pretty much take up the entire diameter of the hole when they are extended) and I thought brittle stars lived in the sand or under liverock and came out at night. Thanks for any help in indentifying this mystery. -Kevin

Sounds like it is a star, but possibly not a brittle. Brittles have spiky things on their legs, and there was no mention of these in your post. Being fairly new for you, and hoping that you already know this: Don't try to pull him out-his legs will fall off. He could very well reside there until he grows out of the hole.

Stacy

actually, sounds to me like you are seeing bristtle worms. These are very common in LR and just fine to have in your system. One warning is to not try to touch them with your hands. The bristles are actualy tiny spines that will break off under your skin and cause a fair amount of iritation.

Thanks for the info. I have seen a couple of bristle worms in my tank and have read that they are benefical detrius eaters. What I'm seening in that hole are a lot smaller in diameter and move very slowly. Now that you mention it Stacy, I have seen little spiky things on them and the coloration looks like it has thin black rings alternated with thicker reddish-brown rings. I've noticed it for about 3 months now. Thank you all again for the useful information.

I have seen some bristle worms with some pink and blue, I have also noticed tiny serpent stars in my crushed argonite near the edge. They are sooooo tiny, but i can see the distinct center and five thin, long (relative to their current size) arms.

Whats strange is you say that the hole is about the same size as the legs/worms. Since the star has a center disk that all the legs are connected to if the hole these legs are extending out of is no bigger than the leg itself then it leads to belive its more a worm than a star leg. Any chance on a photo?

fishfreek said:
Whats strange is you say that the hole is about the same size as the legs/worms. Since the star has a center disk that all the legs are connected to if the hole these legs are extending out of is no bigger than the leg itself then it leads to belive its more a worm than a star leg. Any chance on a photo?
I will see if I can get a decent pic of the dwarf serpent in my tank. Just recently found it the other night looking for whelks. The descriptions sound similar. Five legs standing straight up in the water column.

Cheers
Steve

i will also try to get a pic and submit. What's really strange is that the legs are split between two holes in close proximity of eachother. For example, 3 legs out of one hole and two out of another. I have only seen them at night and they vary which hole they extend from (one night they may all come out of one hole, the next I may only see 2 legs total, later, all five) and I've only counted 5 legs total at any one time.

Couldn't get a decent pic and if you did not see it in person it looks more like aiptasia but I hope it gives you an idea anyway. The lights where still off on the tank so it not a very good pic.

Cheers
Steve

Maybe the star fish grew into the whole and is now stuck.....LOL!! I think I have onethe same way you described.....I always see the legs...hanging out of two/three different holes...with out the center ever coming out....poor thing.
I'll see about taking a pic!! LOL! :mrgreen:

Well, I've pretty much determined that it is a banded serpent star in the hole. Now I'm concerned that it did grow to large to leave and is stuck..... Should I break the live rock to release it, or will it live just fine in the hole?

kae_shields said:
Should I break the live rock to release it, or will it live just fine in the hole?
They are actually capable of contorting their bodies when needed. I would not worry about it that much. In all honesty it is probabley leaving the "burrow" in the wee hours of the night already. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

kae_shields said:
Well, I've pretty much determined that it is a banded serpent star in the hole. Now I'm concerned that it did grow to large to leave and is stuck..... Should I break the live rock to release it, or will it live just fine in the hole?

I think this is the case with me, too. I have had brittle stars in the past, so I know what they look like. I definitely have about 3 of them living inside of the rock and sticking their arms out when the lights go out.

I think it is from when I bought the rock. There were about 10 brittle stars in the box with the rock. Living just fine. They were only about an inch in diameter, however. So, I believe they got down deep in the rock, and just live there sticking arms out from time to time.

Every once in a while, in the morning, there will be a brittle star arm curled up in the middle of the sand all by itself. Weird!

Todd

Finally, I borrowed a digital camera and took a picture of what I think is a brittle star inside my liverock. It only comes out at night, so I had to turn on the lights temporarily to get the pic. Sorry for the poor quality, let me know what you think.

Ok, so if it's not a brittle star, then what is it (one suggestion is a spaghetti worm), and is it harmful? So far I haven't noticed anything bad.

I hate to disagree but I still think it's a serpent star, banded by the way. The tentacles are tappered and there are not enough of them to be from a spaghetti worm. They also seem to have some strength against the water flow which would also rule out the worm.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom