Is this a mussel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mighty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first set up my tank, a little over a month ago, I noticed what looks like a mussel shell in my live sand (pic on left). Tonight I noticed what looks like a new critter (right), similar to what I found in the sand. Do you know what this is?

Attachments

• PA230005.jpg
    PA230005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 57
  • PA230007.jpg
    PA230007.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 51
Looks like it's what I thought was a bi-valve. Now, that term I'm guessing again, could be any clam, oyster, or mussel that closes it's shell. I've got LR in the past with a bunch of'm. When you touch it, it'll close. Looks like one died (the open one of course), and you got another that fell off a rock and may be on its way out too. No big deal though IMO.

I agree with Ray, they are some type of bi-valve. Possibly turkeywing clams which are pretty typical. They are filter feeders and nothing to worry about.

I have several of them in my refugium and a few in my frag tank. They are pretty interesting little guys. If your tank is newly set up they probably wont make it but you never know.

I may be speaking out of my turn, But I can say I have not seen one on the sand bed like that. Does it still open and close?

I had one get knocked off the rockwork and onto the sand bed. It made it's way back to the rocks and got a good hold in nook. I wish I had gotten some pics of it while it was moving. They aren't the most graceful critters.

Back
Top Bottom