Is This a Parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just happened to notice it "swimming" around the tank this evening. Last night, I saw 2 of these critters stuck on the first bar of one of our new clownfishes. Found him dead on the sand this morning :cry: This guy is under a magnifying glass... he's about half the size of a rice grain and has 2 black eyes, antennae and some kind of reddish string (unfortunately it doesn't show in my pics). I hope these are good enough for someone to ID this thing. Thanks :)

parasite1.jpg
parasite2.jpg
parasite3.jpg
parasite4.jpg

Help! How do I get rid of this?

Well, all was well for a few months...

Our Regal Tang likes to sleep inbetween some rock in the sandbed at night. The exact same type of "isopod" (although a bit larger than the original culprit) was attached to her for the good part of today. She was irritated by it and kept trying to scrape it off but it was on good. Finally a little while ago, it seemingly disappeared. This thing was attached to her in the same spot all day - it didn't move around.

Anyone want to take a stab at identifying this thing? Is it really a Cirolanid Isopod?

isopod1.jpg
isopod2.jpg

isopod3.jpg
isopod4.jpg

She's doing very well, BTW.

Yes, very bad. One of the methods of removal is to volunteer your warm blooded arm. They are only active at night and are very difficult to remove.

If you see them attached to the fish, you can attempt to catch the fish and remove it.

From Marine Fish Annual..."a female can carry 30 to 50 developing juveniles...","a few hungry baby cirolanids can drain a damselfish of its blood in no time at all.", "

Unfortunately, from what I've read you often have to eliminate fish from the aquarium for a period of up to 6 months in order to ensure they have died off.

Thanks :( I was afraid of that. I'm working on setting up a tank (new home) for everyone. Hopefully I can starve it. They need blood to survive right? Am I correct in assuming that a fishless tank will starve it? Can I leave my snails and hermit crabs for cleanup?

For the record... I was trying to catch her all day and failed miserably. She's very shy as soon as you approach the tank, and hides in her "home" in the center/bottom of my rock - right on the sand. :roll: Will probably have to dismantle rock just to move her.

Yes, they need blood....and you are on the right track to starve them.

If you can drain out a most of the water in your tank, it will give you a fighting chance to catch the fish and move him to another tank. Once you get him, you can put all that water back in and wait your six months.

Back
Top Bottom